Mac Power Users 485: WWDC and Interview with the Mac Pro Product Manager

What I found remarkable about this interview, was the end where Craig expressed so plainly how much he was comparing what they were developing against what Federico was asking for. Tech journalists are clearly influential. But seldom do we hear so directly how far that influence goes. I suppose it should not be that surprising, but I was most impressed.

1 Like

I donā€™t get all the hate on the stand.

If you add the monitor and stand together then it is still FAR less than any comparable monitor (if one exists).

Because the stand is an option and you can get a VESA mount they have shown it separately.

This is PRO level gear and hence expensive.

Have a look at brackets etc for RED gear and you will seen what PRO level gear costs.

3 Likes

I completely agree. The stand may be costly but it looks to be well engineered and serves a specific purpose for a specific type of customer. The appropriate responseā€“to my thinkingā€“if something is too costly for oneā€™s budget or tastesā€“is simply not to buy it. Anybody complaining about the price, did not need this stand to begin with.

One can question whether Apple read its market correctly by manufacturing a stand that it needs to price at a thousand dollars, but that is a different subject entirely. Frankly, I hope Apple sells a lot just to unnerve the commentators who want to complain about it. In this ecosystem weā€™ve chosen to be in, we are all better off when Apple gets it right.

Apple could easily have shown off the tilt/swivel of the stand as part of the monitor demo, then noted the price as $5,999, then point out that many pros use VESA mounts for their monitors and that a standless version would cost $1000 less. That would have gone down far better in the room and in the press, so I have to conclude that they calculatedly separated out the stand and listed the price separately for a specific marketing rationale. (Not that I necessarily agree with it.) I think the optics and response of their decision were purposeful and they got results they expected.

1 Like

This might help to put the Mac Proā€™s and monitorā€™s price in perspective. Houdini, used to create graphics for movies youā€™ve seen, and games youā€™ve played. For a studio, Houdini FX is $7000, with annual upgrades being $4000. Or you could rent it for a year for $5000, etc.

https://www.sidefx.com/buy/#houdini-studios

Although Apple didnā€™t discuss it on stage, Iā€™m positive that most of those monitors and Pro will be sold to commercial entities who will undoubtedly be on service contracts of some kind (with Apple or someone else).

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen anyone mention this here yet, and I apologize if it hasā€”but MPU was featured in the Explore section of the Apple Podcasts app!image

6 Likes

Yeah, I totaly understand that. I have no problem with the price, itā€™s not intended for my use anyway, however itā€™s a shame that such focus is on the stand instead of the monitor itself.

1 Like