Mac Power Users 487: Josh Centers: Beta Spelunker

1 Like

As someone who has run betas in the past looking forward to the episode. I’ll probably run it on my iPad.

I was just going to say the same thing, you beat me to it! I had my volume on my amp cranked way beyond normal, plus turned on Boom 3D and boosted it further. Then I played a different podcast and about busted my ears! So yes, volume was very low for me too.

Had some real struggles bringing Josh’s audio up to where I normally have things. Opted for better quality over my desired loudness.

4 Likes

And I almost called my ability to hear properly into question. :sweat_smile:

Great show, though! I really liked the interaction between Josh and David/Stephen. I think the chemistry between you all was really good this time. Plus he has an awful lot of experience and many interesting things to say. Thank you!

1 Like

Interesting discussion. I admittedly had never heard of Tidbits (have only used the Mac since 2010) but I started reading it and am really enjoying it, of course. The subscription/patronage model is refreshing.

I didn’t notice the volume difference. I was just wondering, might it have been because I use Overcast to play it? It uses voice boost to dynamically equalize voice volume. Other players like Castro use similar tech to EQ the voice levels.

Overcast Volume Boost covers a multitude of volume sins.

3 Likes

I noticed that I had to turn up the volume more than usual. I typically limit the volume on my AirPods to about 50% (with Voice Boost turned on in Overcast)…but needed to raise the volume to about 70% for this episode. Not a big deal as the audio quality was still good.

2 Likes

Odd Duck here the volume was ok. But his voice was distorted throughout the podcast. Sounded like a very directional mic not consistently spoken to.