Mac Power Users News

Yes, I do the same thing.

1 Like

The occasional post about a sale or a security problem, etc. is useful, but the last thing I am looking for here is more tech news.

1 Like

Maybe my judgments about this community were wrong
 :thinking:

RSS readers miss many of the features that the websites provide.

RSS readers miss many of the features that the websites provide.

Which ones? I am honestly not missing anything; in many cases, the experience is even superior (no noise, no ads, no stupid comments, only what matters: the content).

Social share features, the actual design of the website (RSS readers often have their own bland take), related articles, etc.

Okay. Then I’m definitely not missing anything. This is all bloat to me. Especially the social shares which I hate with a passion.

1 Like

One could argue that most news, in general, is just bloat.

What sites do folks like for their Apple news? We’ve discussed 9to5Mac – is there another site that people love?

Is there a SINGLE site that a person should subscribe to, to get all their Apple news?

I am a former journalist who formerly, briefly, covered Apple. The problem is that Apple doesn’t generate much news. It’s a no-drama company with only a few products. So you end up having to write a lot about rumors, watchbands, and wishlists, just to fill space.

2 Likes

Ars Technica looks like a good site overall. Subscribed! Thank you!

I’ve been an RSS fiend for almost 20 years, but lately I find if a site has a daily newspaper, I prefer that. It’s compact, and often edited to highlight the most important bits. I read the newsletter in my RSS reader.

Ars only seems to have a weekly newsletter, so I subscribed to the feed.

If it’s important it will surface here one way or another. :stuck_out_tongue:

if it generates a lot of noise you will hear it somewhere, but I find this kind of things little interesting.

I might be somewhat unusual tho, my apple news sites are macsparky, 512 pixel and daring fireball
 and I’m three weeks late on my RSS feed

1 Like

It’s a politics, baseball, and Stanley Kubrick site that occasionally covers Apple news. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reddit isn’t the same. :wink:

Why not also create articles for Mac tips and Mac apps? That kind of stuff

Good point! MacSparky might know a thing or two about this.

Not always
 :upside_down_face:

There are so many websites doing this already.
Getting into that space requires a unique vision with a new slant. This is not the 2000’s anymore. You need to have a value proposal which goes way beyond « let’s do what every other platform already does but with the folks at the MPU community ». For the moment, no value proposal has not been clearly stated, and the editor within me is getting impatient: define the project :slightly_smiling_face:

Why not mix Mac tips and Mac apps in with regular news?

The value comes from this special community. That helps to differentiate from the things that every other platform already does.

Why not mix Mac tips and Mac apps in with regular news?

Because once again, there’s a gazillion sites which do that already.

An editorial proposal does not base itself on a community alone. It’s like saying you should read Lord of the Rings because the fandom’s great and you’ll be able to attend cool conventions. I’m sorry but this doesn’t make sense, and from what I gather in this feedback thread, that’s the dominant opinion.

2 Likes

There’s not a gazillion sites like Mac Power Users.

He looked through the window at a mist of green and black; it was the veil of the Internet reality parting, to reveal twenty characters painted in the monochrome glory of the old days of computing.
“Why so gloomy?” she asked of him, worrying about his forlorn look in the distance.
“I give up,” he answered, and then counted the letters in the sky. There was enough of them, he decided.

They could even use WordPress and integrate it with this forum.

Regarding concise daily news it is clear that discontinuing the Subnet podcast was a huge mistake.

Thanks for your reply, @Bmosbacker. I was really trying to ask about the nature of news, not the nature of the people reading it. I think your answer fits nicely what I tried to ask in a poor manner.

1 Like