Mac Purchase dilemma

Would it be cheaper and/or cheaper to buy one in the UK, get it delivered to someone you know, fly over to the UK, stick it in your suitcase and fly back?

That was an idea my step daughter is in the UK and we often get things sent. but Cyprus is a holiday destination from the UK and currently flight costs are horrendous, although come October they do drop.

Even so looking at mid September delivery in UK…

I did expect both products (16GB Air and Studio) to be orderable but especially the Studio not readily available from stoc, domestically.

Understandable and good they were honest about it. Resellers don’t get delivery dates for Macs before they‘re shipping out.

I can also understand the required downpayment, since they won’t be returning unsold units to Apple. They have to resell them to someone else - not an easy feat without taking a loss, when it’s a niche product (Mac Studio) and they have to do it on/from a smaller EU island that uses British-style power plug.

Edit: given the temperatures and the mobility, wouldn’t a MacBook Pro with a fan an alternative?

You really don’t want to be an Apple reseller these days I think. What can you sell, apart from overpriced cables and adapters?

I came to the same conclusion as yours. My laptop as been held connected to my display since the day I bought it, and the culprit is the iPad that can make for all my mobility needs. In this sense, purchasing a laptop is spending unnecessary money on a great and mostly unused screen. My next Mac will be a Mini or a Studio.

2 Likes

A deposit is one thing an open ended commitment to give them 800 euros redeemable at some indeterminate time in the future is just not given the potential to have to use a one sided legal system which would if their backlog in anything to go by is measured in years.

A deposit with a firm delivery date is something I would be prepared to consider as then I have a clear case of failure to meet a contract, something vague and open ended gives me little to no rights as far as I can see.

Sorry @TheOldDesigner, I should have posted sooner.

I don’t know whether this might be of any help but I hope to be in Lefkosia for the last two weeks of December.

My employer doesn’t consider holiday requests for the Christmas period until October so I won’t know whether my application has been approved until then.

Feel free to drop me a message if you want to explore further.

I wouldn’t take any kind of Desktop, as a luggage onto a flight…

Normally I’d avoid taking a desktop as luggage, but at least the Mac Studio has a gorgeous, sturdy box with a handle. And not like taking a tower computer on board! Still, the box is rather cubic in shape and may not fit under some seats or in the overhead bins on smaller planes.

You have never observed the handling of luggage and cargo on a plane, and on the way to and from the apron… :thinking:

And furthermore, depending on the type of plane, and the configuration, there are much better environments, then a cargo hold, to place a computer in.

I think the idea was to physically carry the Mac Studio onto the plane, not toss it in the cargo hold. It would likely fit just fine in the carry-on bag space.

Although it’s worth noting that packages going air freight typically get handled about the same way luggage gets handled at an airport - so no real difference if it did go in the cargo hold.

Heck, I’ve seen domestic shipping guidelines for ground shipping that indicate the package needs to be packed well enough to withstand a six foot drop, twice.

Thank you for the offer its appreciated… If I can not get one here before I am going to go to the UK and preorder it so I can collect.

1 Like

Just an update, I have decided to stick with my intrel Macbook Pro for now, I simply can not be bothered jumping through all the hoops required for the privilege of buying an M1 Studio Max. I though the essence of sales was to make products available not impossible to buy (wherever you are). I am not going to have to fight to give Apple my money.

I have now put the funds towards a Mercedes which do not seem to have supply shortages, and will probably give me at least as much fun. :smiley:

5 Likes

That sounds about right. I worked for a major freight line a long time ago and the unofficial recommendation, should someone ask, was the package should be able to survive a drop from the upper chest.