Mac users: Where do you put the dock?

Right side, always visible. Most of the icons in my dock are those I use frequently by drag & drop.

Never cared for the left side even in my Windows days, probably because I’m right handed.

I have three displays (including the built in one (MBP and Air)) so the bottom is the only useful choice. It auto hides as well, because I don’t want to give up screen real estate.

When working not-docked, I still have it on the bottom and auto hiding, because anything other than that is just sinful and wrong, as is specifically and unambiguously stated in the holy texts of every known religion.

1 Like

The first dock I used was on an Amiga back in around 1990, and that was along the bottom of the screen and always visible.

Any other location feels wrong to me, as that’s how I’ve been using one since then.

Always on the left, with auto hide. Why? No clue, lol. I read somewhere that this is what hardcore users did, and I was new to Mac, so I just followed :upside_down_face:

On the right, as small as possible, with no self-important swelling of icon size when hovered-on nonsense, and always auto-hidden.

It’s largely unnecessary (I use Spotlight to launch apps, and avoid the mouse whenever possible) so it’s a waste of screen space. I know where to find it when I need it (with the keyboard shortcut, of course… I’d turn the showing-when-mouse-at-screen-edge annoyance off if I could.)

1 Like

I keep mine on the bottom where it’s been ever since Mac OS X.1. It’s so ingrained and habitual, I don’t think I could ever change it.

Left, hidden. I love the added vertical space!

Left, Always visible. Almost all of the apps in it are there for notification badge purposes only.

Used bottom for years but switched to the left side. Made my screen real estate work better. Don’t really like auto hide so I leave it on screen all the time.

1 Like

I stopped using the dock at all, so now it is Bottom on hide, I tried the right side but returned at some point, I think because I was more likely to hover over the right side than the bottom of the screen.

I don’t ever use the dock so as long as it is hidden and I don’t hover over it I never see it. Sometimes I move the cursor a bit slow over a very low item or word, then I see it by accident as it were. I enjoy those little visits. I had, as it happens, set it to only show items in use or whatever the setting is.

Depending on your thoughts about the new Mac icons in Big Sur, a lot of folks may be turning hiding on.

Right side, auto hide with speed tweaks. I have two 24 inch monitors with the primary one directly in front of me with the secondary one to the left of it. I don’t use the dock extensively but this makes it so that I can flick quickly to the edge of the primary monitor instead of skating my cursor all the way to the left side of the left hand monitor to get to the dock.