MacBook Air Orders

I hope the rest of your day goes better.

1 Like

hahah its fine. I am excited to see the Air in action :smiley:

I got a 24GB/512GB Silver delivering July 26 - Aug 2nd. Now I have to try and avoid the compulsive re-checking of the order status.

2 Likes

I haven’t ordered any BTO Macs since I retired in ‘18 but they always took something like 7-10 days longer than base models. Did that improve in the last few years?

1 Like

dunno… first preorder for me since the Commodore 64…

2 Likes

I ordered the base processor with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB HD in silver. Anticipated deliver is July 20-22! Placed the order within about 10 min of it opening.

2 Likes

My wife and I ordered the Midnight, 24gb RAM and 1TB SSD and both got Aug 2-9 delivery windows. Which I was actually happy with. Sparky had mentioned he thought midnight would be the hot color and that delivery would be a ways off right from the start, so a month doesn’t seem too bad given the supply chain challenges I am sure Apple is facing.

2 Likes

Mine said - Aug 2nd-9th (Midnight, 24gb RAM and 1TB SSD)

I fooled with orders right at 5am and if you ordered a stock model (make no changes) it said…

Jul 18 - Jul 25

But if you made any changes it instantly jumped to

Aug 2nd-9th

so I think that nothing actually ‘slipped’ yet - (unless to delivery date moves back)

1 Like

Do you have a link for this?

https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/nobody-should-buy-the-new-m2-macbook-pro/29709/13

1 Like

Thanks and I found this…

The main point of the argument is:
“Hey - We bought Apple’s cheapest* laptop(s), used them like no owner will ever used them, and the computer got hot enough to throttle the processors. No one should buy this.”

The video you found is even worse, IMO. First problem - the laptop I bought with full awareness of the design and Touch Bar still has this old design and Touch Bar. I don’t understand how people watch YouTube reviews for anything but humor.

Super helpful.

2 Likes

I just saw that Costco has the MBA for presell and is expected to ship between 7/15 and 7/22. Looks like they only have the 256 and 512 gb base models.

I ordered the 512 GB M2 Air in Space Gray (no customization) at 11 Central Time this morning, and it is supposed to arrive on July 15. I wonder if the delayed times have extra padding because of the continuing problems in international shipping? I hope Apple has decided to “under promise, over deliver” and that you will all get your computers earlier than the estimate.

I rarely order a model without customization, and it’s always a delay. The delays got shorter in the years leading up to the pandemic, but it all fell apart when China went into its lockdowns this year. The analyses I’ve read is that those late-winter/early-spring disruptions will be causing problems through the end of 2022 — and any further lockdowns will only extend it.

This laptop will be an experiment for me. It’s going to be mostly a personal machine, and I’ll be relying on iCloud to keep my data in sync. The trick will be in keeping customizations and app preferences in sync, too. The last time I tried this (back in the white MacBook era), I found the latter so frustrating that I gave up and switched to a 1-computer lifestyle.

1 Like

No way Steve Jobs would have ever let those old macbook pro boxes be shipped with an m2 sticker added to it. thats if he even would still be selling this…

I got a promotion (yay!) and my very cool new manager put me in for an equipment upgrade to a new M2 MBA for work, and today I was informed that I was selected!

I’m very happy with my personal M1 MBA that I occasionally use for work, so I was okay with not getting a new workstation, but now feeling very fortunate to get to work on a new M2 and put it through it’s paces.

4 Likes

Please let us know how they compare. I won’t be upgrading anytime soon from my M1 MacBook Air, but I’m still curious about how much Apple has improved the Air with an M2 and a new design!

1 Like

Will do! I tried to option for the highest amount of RAM I could get, so we’ll see how it goes!

1 Like

:weary: The wait is killing me. :joy: There has been no progress in 4 days. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Humor?

In the video he said upfront that he was deliberately running an extreme stress test (not real world example - meant for the target market) just to prove his point about thermal throttling which showed disappointing results.

He discussed 7 issues including:

• lowest model has only 1 chip so it has lower ssd read / write
  • un-impressive exports compared to previous model
  • Logic Pro X Track Count test: Less tracks before overload in M2 vs previous M1
  • he said it looks like Apple is using lower downgraded quality SSD’s - that have lower performance during sustained writes…
  • and more…

How is this humorous?