MacBook M1 Max users: what are intending to use this powerful chip for?

This may be the best thing I’ve read in a long time. I did something similar to this with an IBM ThinkPad back in 1993. :slight_smile: I was one of the only University students taking a laptop to all my classes. More machine than I “needed” at the time. Yet, having it did for me, the same kind of thing you describe, in terms of opening up opportunities that “made me what I am today” (from a computer-using standpoint). Second best computer I’ve ever owned, next to my 2015 15" MacBook Pro, which dovetails nicely into.

I completely agree that these are the first computers in a LONG TIME that provide headroom. My MBP has been great and has kept up quite well, but there was no headroom per se. With these new machines, there is a lot users can grow into over the next few years. No doubt that developers (Apple and third-party) will enable us to grow into the room afforded by these machines in no time at all.

I see the M1 iPad Pro as being in this category, too.

[quote=“iPersuade, post:21, topic:25706, full:true”]
This may be the best thing I’ve read in a long time. I did something similar to this with an IBM ThinkPad back in 1993. :slight_smile: I was one of the only University students taking a laptop to all my classes. More machine than I “needed” at the time. Yet, having it did for me, the same kind of thing you describe, in terms of opening up opportunities that “made me what I am today” (from a computer-using standpoint). Second best computer I’ve ever owned, next to my 2015 15" MacBook Pro, which dovetails nicely into.
[/quote]

I think you and I would be good friends IRL. Cheers

1 Like

I have the same interest in rust compile results. I’ve seen mixed signals on other forums (maybe dated, can’t recall). Did the M1 live up to expectations for rust handling?

1 Like

Bump. I don’t code. Anyone else got input on this?

Here’s a long reddit thread with benchmarks for building many rust projects. Anything multicore is roughly twice as fast on M1 Pro/Max as on M1.

1 Like

@cornchip, Thank you for connecting me with that thread - it was most helpful and exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like