macOS 11.3.1 -- small update in a big package

From Apple:

Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

From Howard Oakley (Eclectic Light Company)

Although it apparently addresses just these two vulnerabilities, it’s still 3.3 GB for an M1 Mac and 2.4 GB for an Intel model.

1 Like

found that weird… but already updated all my equipment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Apple has to do full updates now (hence the size even for point releases). Something about the way macOS signs it on the new OS/protected space. But a quick Google didn’t turn anything up so now thinking I dreamt this…

No no I’ve heard this too. They’ve created some secure way of basically swapping the entire operating system or something.

Obviously designed by someone with extremely good bandwidth to the server. (Now where have I seen that before?) :slight_smile:

I realize that most people don’t need it, but XCode is just as bad. Saw an update today - 11.7 gigabytes. I only need it for the command line tools, and then just some of the basic stuff. It would be nice if some of these things could push “just the changes”. :slight_smile:

XCode-Updates always feel like climbing Mount Everest just to make a snow-ball, swim across the ocean just to grab some sand or …whatever huge task you can do for little benefit.

2 Likes

I have a 256 Gb SSD in my iMac with 35 Gb free and I can’t update. I always have to resort to some dark Necroelectromicon rituals to get it to finally update. Drives me insane (as the Necroelectromicon should, but still).

2 Likes

Oh…and the best part. I just finished downloading the 11.7 GB update, and now it’s asking me if I want to install the extra stuff I’ll need to actually use it. :slight_smile:

lol, the popup that invoked when you open XCode right? that happens a lot.

If this helps, I usually clean uninstall XCode with AppCleaner, then reinstall. At least, you free up space as high as ‘will be downloaded’ application :rofl:

1 Like

Yup. I just think it’s crazy when I just downloaded almost 12 GB, to update an existing full installation. I mean…they couldn’t just download and install the extra couple megabytes of tools at the same time? :smiley:

Oh that’s a GREAT tip. Never thought of this, but of course! Thanks.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how does 35 Gb free not allow you to download a 12 Gb update? Does it need more room to unpack or something?

Yes, that’s the usual reason. Xcode needs way more space than the download to deign install itself. (And it drives me insane at each new release… eagerly waiting for new Mac Pros :sweat_smile:)

Yes. I was there. SSD almost full (a ton of video files) and XCode refused to Update. It not only needs half your SSD to update, it drains your soul, wants you to move out of your appartment, will eat you pets and take away all your bandwidth and data limits.

3 Likes

Howard explains why Big Sur’s updates are so big here and here.

2 Likes