macOS 11.3 released

My i9 16” MacBook finished more that 10 mins before my M1, which I was not expecting. Both started at exactly the same time.

1 Like

I hope it finally remembers widget settings.

I can’t check myself yet because the installation status is “About 10 minutes remaining” for at least 1 hour now…

Yes, it did that on my two current Macs. Obligatory XKCD reference:

3 Likes

Text Expander (6.8.4) keeps crashing after updating to 11.3 on my Mac Mini.

From the crash log:

Failed to execute 'transaction' on 'IDBDatabase': 
The database connection is closing.

It might be a coincidence… So, what to do? Smile, I guess? :wink: Logs have been sent to Smile.

EDIT: No conincidence according to Twitter. Oh well…

TextExpander is also failing on my M1. LanguageTool also crashes.

Regarding TextExpander: Smile was so kind to send me an email with instructions.

1. Open a Finder window.

2. Hit Shift-Command-G.

3. Paste in the following: ~/Library/WebKit/

4. Delete the folder with name com.smileonmymac.textexpander.

5. Launch TextExpander.

That resolved my issue. (Knock on wood, but no crashes during the last 30 minutes after deleting the mentioned folder.)

Seems to work, thanks. I followed a similar approach for LanguageTool (/Users/larseberhart/Library/Containers/org.languagetool.safari/Data/Library and others)

Curious. I’ll have to try it with other apps and see if I can get any of them to work.

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Interesting! I had repeated crashing of Text Expander last week, before 11.3. Smile never responded to my reports so I finally gave up and uninstalled it.

Maybe after I update to 11.3 I’ll try this and reinstall Text Expander.

I’m starting to think that Big Sur is Apple’s way of saying that, “Catalina wasn’t all that bad” (but is certainly was)

A step back from Catalina? I guess that’s a giant step back from Mojave, and I wasn’t that fond of Mojave.

I hope next year’s release is named “Snow Big Sur.”

1 Like

Huge Sur…

To be fair, I had no issues with Big Sur so far. I loved Mojave and El Capitan in their time. Those seemed super solid to me (and Mojave introduced a nice screenshot interface as well).

2 Likes

No problems either. I’m actually very happy with Big Sur which works way better on my venerable 2015 iMac than Mojave did (I skipped Catalina), even with my 15 peripherals hooked to it :sweat_smile:

I am also very happy with Big Sur. TextExpander and LanguageTool crashing with the current update was easily solver.

What annoys me: macOS hat several significant changes in the architecture. 32bit/Carbon/etc. Most developers quickly reacted and updated their software to work with those changes. But why are some developers not releasing updates? Universal binaries (M1) being just an example. Weird code another one.

1 Like

Also Music is just plain painful to use. Slow, with a horrible inconsistent UI.

There is some weirdness, true, and several annoyances, but I wouldn’t call it horrible or painful. But maybe that’s because I’m mostly piloting it from Alfred, that works perfectly.

If you have Alfred and work a lot from your library, pilot it from there. It changes everything.

update went well on the Mac Mini, PITA on the MacBook Air. Every. Single. Step. required a reboot. As in, first I didn’t have enough space for the download. So I moved things to a flash drive. The OS did not recognize the space saving until I rebooted. After I downloaded the update, same thing - had to reboot to recognize space saving. Still not enough space to do the update. Moved more things to flash drive. Reboot. NOW I can actually do the update. It worked.
Moved things back to the internal drive. I moved 20GB over, but lost 39GB of available space.
Until I rebooted.
I have done many, many copies and moves of files and folders on a Mac over the last 14 years or so. Not once do I remember having this level of problem with an OS. Was I just lucky? Is this normal? Or is it the new normal?

Rejoice?

Widgets are no longer removed when apps are updated

https://twitter.com/airbuddyapp/status/1387389785778556933

1 Like

My widgets are gone. wtf?

One week later. Text Expander started crashing again. I once again had to delete the mentioned folder. The crashing stopped. Not happy.

1 Like