May 2022 Software of the Month Club – Noteplan

Used Setapp before they changed their subscription to per device, which then made it more expensive that just paying for the apps I actually use, so I no longer use it.

But thanks for the suggestion.

After losing steam for NotePlan on my Mac, I took a look at it on my iPhone and I kinda like it. Clicking on a date on my phone to review previous day’s logs when I am away from home would be handy.

But I fat-fingered the screen and somehow clobbered some text. There seems to be only one level of undo. I couldn’t restore the missing chunk of text. And of course the mistake sync’d right away to the Mac! Which led me to discover that NotePlan apparently does not use document versioning (Revert To, Last Save, Browse All Versions as introduced back in macOS Lion). That is disappointing and a little riskier than I would like.

There are versions available. Tap the vertical three dot menu in the top right and select “View Revisions”.

2 Likes

You are so right. There they are, right where you said they would be. Just not under the File menu where I would think to look for them. But maybe because NotePlan is a document AND a database app, such things are not in what I would consider their “usual” place.

And not only that, but my missing chunk of text was in one of the revisions! Thank you!

5 Likes

After a couple of false starts, and some nitpicking on my part, I have switched over to NotePlan. Thanks to all of the experienced users for their comments! I finally decided I don’t have to use all of the available features if I really like the ones I do use.

Daily notes are my favorite, especially how easy it is to select, view, and edit notes from previous and future days. And also to see the same daily note on my phone when I’m away from the Mac.

The Markdown editor is growing on me. I like that I can collapse text into its heading and that I can get rid of the panels on either side of of the editor when I want.

I know there is lots more to this app than I am using right now but I figure, if I need it, I’ll find it. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

My apologies. I’m now a happy NotePlan user and the CloudKit location of my files turned out to be a non-issue. I know my files are on my Mac, and if I need them, I can find them. But in day-to-day use, their specific location never comes up!

3 Likes

Glad it all worked out for you!!

1 Like

Noting that sometime recently the price got hiked to $15 per month or $120 per year. The price is almost as much as Setapp now.

(ETA: Sorry Mathew, I hit reply to you instead of the thread in general!)

This is shocking news.

Recent reddit post says “we are testing new prices” and “Existing subscribers keep their original prices” among other things. Annual subscription price has DOUBLED?!? : noteplanapp

Well that price disabused me of any notion of trying NotePlan plan again. I think that price hike probably did me a big favor. :joy:

4 Likes

So far indications are that existing subscribers will not see a price increase. (Part of me says, “Yeah, right.”) But if you are not already onboard, you face a stiff increase in cost.

Edit to add: I guess I’ll coast along for the next ten months until my subscription comes up for renewal, and make a decision at that time.

With that kind of increase in price, my salary should be increased 2.5 times (factoring tax) too. I would then not have a problem. We are in sync.

2 Likes

I never upgraded from version 2… did what I needed, bought it outright, didn’t need Yet Another Subscription

1 Like

Is anyone aware of a recent article or trend or consultant advice about raising software prices to see what the market will bear? Possibly with a move toward more frequent sales? Or other revenue growth strategies?

Greed greed greedy. Glad never into this app.

2 Likes

Me too! I’ve just returned to Agenda which is working well for my new job. I was going to take a look at NotePlan to compare but at that price… maybe not!

Phew! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:
Should stick to reliable developers and not those who suddenly double their prices for no reason!

PS: the developer is providing old prices via DM for anyone still wanting to subscribe this app :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That’s something, I guess.

It’s a bit weird they are undermining their own new pricing model. Shows lack of proper planning. If you know the developer is handing out discounts via DM you get 50% off, is this for real?

It sounds quite unprofessional to be ‘testing the new pricing,’ as they claim on reddit. What does this even mean? Will some users now end up paying a higher subscription price if they eventually revert to a lower pricing should the test fail (and their sales flatline)? I’ve seen such things happen recently, for example the SkySafari app doubled their pricing, only to revert to an earlier pricing sometime later.

1 Like

NotePlan is a beautiful app with more features than I can use. I like it a lot. When I had to set prices for my services, I found it very difficult. I fully support the dev setting his own prices. But it is hard to watch the changes happen in the open like this.