Medium for Blog

Wise decision. Over the years, did medium, squarespace, microblog, ghost. Wordpress is the best alternative, hosted or self-hosted.

Send us the domain, so we can visit the new premises. :sunglasses:

Iā€™ve used WordPress extensively, but I canā€™t say I love the interface and my blogging needs are more microblogging. Iā€™m done with Twitter.

Blot looks amazing - Iā€™m not concerned too much about designā€¦ but two years on is anyone still using it or have any feedback? @ryanjamurphy ā€¦ have you moved onto something new?

Yeah, still happy! Recent experience underscored your concerns, though. David took some well-deserved time off, but as a consequence there was no one to answer support requests for a little while. Tradeoffs of indie hosting I guess.

Iā€™m considering a switch to Obsidian Publish at the moment. Not out of dissatisfaction with Blot, but because my stuff is in Obsidian anyway and Publish would provide native support of some neat features. Problem is, Publish doesnā€™t have a blog solution right now. I.e., thereā€™s no RSS or feed feature. So, Iā€™m not in any rush to change over.

Right. I am paying for it so I can keep early bird pricing but havenā€™t used it for anything yet. Would love to use it for that.

Also thinking about ghost. Just a question of whether I have the patience to deal with the server junk to spin it up on digital ocean.

And then I have to decide how much I care about keeping everything Iā€™ve posted since 2005 live or if Iā€™m ready for a clean start.

Then other times I think, yeah, medium is bad for reasons 1-40, but itā€™s also easy and has an audience and being a ā€œown your stuffā€ purist is exhausting and maybe not really as practically important as it is ideologically important.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t, which is a primary reason I switched to Blot (that Blot was less expensive was a bonus).

One tip, if you go the Ghost/DO route: Donā€™t upgrade Ubuntu once you have Ghost installed. I did that, and it broke the database Ghost relies on.

Edited to add: If I ever need or want to move away from Blot, well, all my content is just Markdown and image files living in my Dropbox, so moving the content should be a simple enough matter.

1 Like

I just this week decided to quit my five-month microblogging on Tumblr experiment, and return to Wordpress. The Tumblr writing interface is too painful. Also, microblogging and blogging on separate platforms requires too many decisions.

Wordpress is also painful, but I can use an alternate client. Currently I use Drafts.

Wordpress is lousy for microblogging. My solution is to do a daily digest of microblog posts.

I also microblog and blog on twitter and Facebook. Unlike Wordpress, people actually read and interact with those. I have gotten very friendly with cut-and-paste over the years.

The experience described here with blot reinforces my caution about platforms run by one or two people, like microblog.

2 Likes