Medium-worth $5/month, $50/year?

If you are, or ever have, subscribed to Medium, do or did you find the $5/month, $50/year worthwhile compared to other options? Why or why not? I’ve seen a few articles that interest me but I’ve used up my free quota.

Thoughts based on your experience?

From my side, Medium is showing a too wide range of Information, from too many source, you are often hard to verify.
It’s like you stand on a marketplace, and everybody is telling you his or her opinion, no matter if you are interested, or not, or if he/she has real facts, or not.
It would not be worth for me, to pay a fee for that.

1 Like

I did subscribe a while ago but most of the articles were too short and written by amateurs (which was obvious most of the time).

I unsubscribed because the quality of most posts was terrible and I prefer to read information from a more authoritative source like a magazine with professional journalists.

2 Likes

If you find yourself routinely going beyond the free quota, it’s probably worth it (and only fair) to subscribe.

If you’re only occasionally exceeding the free limit, though, trying a different browser or opening the article in a private tab might get you access to a few articles beyond the limit.

I’m not being facetious when I say I have no idea what I’m missing by not subscribing. I don’t even know the limits of the free tier, because I always seem to be at 1 or 2 out of 3 free articles and never blocked. I’m guessing that’s because I tend to read Medium articles when linked from outside Medium.

I’d like to think there is really good content I’m missing by not paying, just because I want everything to be good, but I don’t know how to find it.

I do miss when they were hiring talented writers and paying them to create magazines. They abandoned that strategy in the last couple years.

It sounds like this would not be a worthwhile subscription. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

this is exactly what I do, I admit that I am a cheapscape. However, I think only a few articles from Medium are worth ready and are nice to read, not critical. So I remain unsubscibed after paying for one year

@Bmosbacker You can install CookieAutoDelete extension and that’s it. Medium tracks the usage based on your browser cookies. Install this and read as many articles as you want for free. :smile:

PS: Don’t login to your account though

Oh, that’s why I wasn’t aware of this limit…

And I’d rather spent the money on some good subscription Apps or services that I enjoy using every day :wink: