Microsoft Surface - Pleasantly surprised

One last thought in this thread. While the Surface Book 2 was good, I was constantly monitoring the RAM usage. When it swap the SSD wasn’t quite fast enough. With my M1 MBP most of the time I don’t even notice swapping happen.

I realised that the Screen was scaled to 300%, I’ve reduced it to 150% which gives me much more space to work with.

I really look at the Microsoft Surface with a lot of envy. I really just dislike Windows. I have to work with it every day and just cannot find the productivity in it like I can the Mac as far as apps and just what I’m used to. I used to be a diehard Windows user years ago. I currently use a MacBook and an iPad and honestly, the iPad is more of a consumption device. I work with an attorney who uses a surface pro and I look at the hardware with a lot of envy and wish that is what the iPad was while retaining the apps and portability of iPadOS. Maybe Apple will get there one day and stop being so bloody stubborn!

1 Like

Right with you there. I’ve been hoping the same thing for decades… so far no luck. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

And yet, the touch-enabled Microsoft Surface has not taken the world by storm even with Microsoft’s outsized market share. $7 billion in a year vs $11 billion in a quarter!

Microsoft Surface is nearly a $7 billion business after a decade 2022-11-26 In Microsoft’s most recent fiscal year, Surface kicked in $6.7 billion of the company’s $198 billion in total revenue. That’s more than the total revenue of over 100 companies in the S&P 500 index.

Apple Mac revenue by quarter 2006-2022 | Statista 2022-11-17 In the fourth quarter of Apple’s 2022 fiscal year, sales of Apple Mac computers generated around 11.51 billion U.S. dollars in revenue, up from 9.18 billion U.S. dollars of the same quarter in the previous year.

I agree, it’s a nice machine. Using the pen with OneNote is great for meeting notes. (Outlook calendar integration with OneNote is v useful) And it can search really bad hand writing.

1 Like

Follow Up:

I’m over the MS Surface. The first device keyboard and trackpad only worked intermittently, the second one had a non functional battery and the third one handed to me on friday has wireless issues to the point where I was either losing packets or running at ping times of over 3000ms.

Pieces of crap.

Or your IT dept. is not up to snuff and keeps cycling problem machines around to different users rather than providing new devices and having the problems fixed. :upside_down_face:

It’s possible, they’re not half working hard though.

Curious how the surface experience is going ?

After 3 different Surfaces in 5 weeks, all of which had hardware/software problems. I ended up being given a brand new Dell laptop which worked perfectly. 1 week after that I handed my notice in at the company due to various issues, one of which was feeling underwhelmed at my onboarding experience. I’m not sure that my experience is representative of the Surface, I suspect that (as @karlnyhus said) I was given whatever was “handy”

After leaving, I rejoined the Employer I had previously worked for and was handed the same 2 year old Dell laptop I previously had which is still working like a dream. Of course I’d love a Mac, but my Dell is doing sterling work at the moment.

2 Likes