Mid-2020 iMac Refresh!

Looking forward to your impressions!

2 Likes

I have, and while it’s very nice looking, I would worry about it over the long term, as Apple’s cleaning directions are so specific. The normal glass is has gotten less reflective over the years, and I think unless you’re across from a window, it’s good enough for everyone.

This is what I’m working with during the daytime… (image below)

I do use the computer at night a lot when there isn’t a glare, but I have also heard from some people that the nano-texture looks “special” (in a good way) in any circumstance because it’s so unlike what most people are used to looking at as a screen…

We’ll see…

Love the scenery :+1:. I’ll be staring out there whole day instead of working!

2 Likes

I own a small creative agency, and use most of the Adobe CC suite each week. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. The iMac has been a great general purpose machine for my uses. If I was only doing video I might build a PC, but I’m much faster with macOS as it’s what I’m used to. Currently using a late 2014 iMac that was maxed out at the time. It’s been solid, but really showing it’s age. Had been holding out for the Mac Pro, but I just can’t justify the expense.

1 Like

With a new Mac, Apple’s Metal acceleration is said by itself to render up to 20% faster (and a new machine will be significantly faster than your machine anyway.

If you need even more performance (which is debatable if you’ve been tootling along with a 6yo iMac) you chould look into an iMac with an external GPU - FCPX lets you choose which GPU to dedicate to rendering. Here’s a recent article you might find interesting.

Good idea, but the OP’s late 2014 iMac has only a Thunderbolt 2 port, not Thunderbolt 3. I assume that lack of Thunderbolt 3 port would eliminate the possibility of using a current-model eGPU, is that correct?

Like the OP, I have the late 2014 iMac and am considering a new iMac to optimize performance for photo and video editing.

Can anyone provide information about possible fan noise in the new 27" iMacs? Would there be any difference in fan noise between the 8-core i7 model and the 10-core i9 model? Same question for the different GPU options - Radeon Pro 5500 XT, Radeon Pro 5700, Radeon Pro 5700XT.

I wasn’t suggesting the OP use his existing old iMac; I was suggesting an iMac with an external GPU as an alternative to a Mac Pro he can’t afford.

OK, understand. Actually I was just in the process of editing my post to address that possibility.

Do you have any idea of how the possible fan noise in a new iMac would be affected by use of an external GPU? Less fan noise in the new iMac, but 2nd source of fan noise due the eGPU?

My desktop 27" iMac is still the first with a Retina screen (and all SSD storage–didn’t opt for fusion) I think it was 2014…

I’m honestly still not seeing how an upgrade would make enough of a difference in my life. I think I’ll wait to see what the Apple one looks like and decide then.