Morbid Topic: How to document financial/digital presence for spouse in case of my passing

I know that folks here will think it’s a strange thing but I do not use 2FA on any accounts because the security is IMO overrated compared to the hassle. Good passwords that you change on a fairly regular basis and keeping your data out of honey pot sites like IMO 1 Password’s on-line service, are I think a safer option.

2 Likes

If 1PW offered recovery codes like Google, it wouldn’t be a problem. Since they don’t, IMO, the only solution is to disable it.

I appreciate the support… I am going through immunotherapy, and all is going well… at the very least, it showed me that life can through you curveballs, and while it may be “morbid,” it is best to prepare sooner rather than later

1 Like

A few potential options:

1. Set up the same code on her phone (if she is used to 2FA.)
  2. Put a copy of the QR code for the 2FA code with the emergency kit with instructions to use it.
  3. Disable 2FA.

I would personally disable 2FA since the secret key is already providing a second step security benefit.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MereCivilian/status/1489027611087216640?s=20&t=v28a_m8LVrIiBgTg_B7XMA

The simplest way is to set up 2FA on her device too. You need to have it outside 1Password in any case so you can’t lock yourself out.

Whenever I activate a 2FA code I do it twice to have a backup for all 2FA. I also manually record the security string in notes.

If you have the string you can recreate 2FA anytime. Best is to build discipline to set it up at the same time.

I use 1Password and Minimalist and also have Microsoft Authenticator, which has my 2FA code for 1Password and 2FA mandated by my work.

I solved this by creating a shared vault. My spouse will never need my account. Everything important is available in the shared vault.

Another option: If you have multiple devices, where you can receive text messages simultaneously, (Mac, iPad,) then I would enable one device to get which is stationed at home. Then when you are not around, your spouse could still get to the 2FA’s on those devices.

When someone is not permanently around, then their 2FA device is already with the surviving spouse. If not have Will in place to gain control of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Until she gets everything sorted out, she can just use my iPhone, iPad, or iMac to get the 2FA codes. We use the same passwords/codes on our devices so easy access. While 2FA isn’t the end alto security it does provide an obstacle that will likely make a hacker move onto easier subjects since there are plenty out there.

It happens to us occasionally when I need to sign onto one of her financial accounts and it sends the code to her phone. She just reads it off for me or hands me her iPhone.

So sorry you’re going through this.

I have a yubikey that my family have access to and also my phone passcode is in 1pw and my 2fa generator for 1pw is stored in an external app

1 Like

just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all your great suggestions. I am obviously behind the curve on this and will look to get something in place over the coming weeks.

Same here, though have not yet been able to explain the Yubikey :grinning:

1 Like

I turned off 2FA

No point having a secure vault that even my wife cannot access when I am not around.

Same situation with me: I do all the finances and whenever I try to explain them to my wife she starts zoning out. Fortunately she has mastered 1Password where we share a vault with everything in it. But there are far too many things that just don’t fit easily into 1Password. Looking for a solution a few years ago I found a book called “In Case You Get Hit by a Bus: How to Organize Your Life Now for When You’re Not Around Later.” The title says it all and it’s been invaluable in getting organized. I then discovered that the book is connected to a website which is like 1Password on steroids for the particular purpose of getting your ducks in a row for when you’re gone. I was reluctant to hand over my entire personal life to this site, but was reassured by the financial institution level of security they provide. Store and Share Everything Important for Families | Everplans. I just revisited their homepage and see that they offer a 60 day free trial without having to provide a credit card. The annual cost is $75 which is well worth the peace of mind I get. It steps you through the process and covers things that would never have occurred to me otherwise. My wife has no problems seeing everything at a glance, and feeling like it’s all there.

2 Likes

I’m a financial advisor. I haven’t used Everplans myself (although I’m planning to check it out), but it is highly recommended by some of my colleagues.

Welcome to the community!

At the risk of appearing to be self-promoting, I have a tech podcast myself in which we talked about this very thing: Tech Memento Mori

We covered a bunch of these questions and included links to some good resources. Personally, I’ve been filling out Erik Dewey’s The Big Book of Everything and I plan to both store it in 1Password, but also print it out in a 3-ring binder and store in a safe place.

There was also a thread on this topic here in MPU last year that had some good advice as well: Digital Journaling, Digital Up-Keep and the After-Life

3 Likes

If you buy the “In Case You Get Hit By a Bus” book ($8.61 on Amazon for Kindle version) you get a year of their service. I think that’s a better deal than the free trial if you plan to get the book. It will give you a lot more time to work with the service to see if it’s right for you.

This is a great post. The free Book of Everything PDF is an excellent resource and made me realize several things aren’t adequately recorded. And you’ve developed so many interesting podcasts!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad it is useful.

Does anyone know if you buy “In Case You Get Hit by a Bus” digitally on Apple Books if you get the free year of Everplans service?