More thoughts on email subject lines

Actually, Postbox on the Mac does allow you to edit the subject line. There’s an occasional email where this doesn’t work, but in my experience that’s rare.

1 Like

One of my associates made a habit of sometimes ONLY putting his thought in the subject line with NO Body at all. Kind of like just sending a text message.

3 Likes

I use the old school method of appending “was:” to the subject (I think that was a usenet thing but I can’t remember):

You are right. This actually IS a usenet thing. With some friends we still use some usenet groups and subject changing to “was: ()” is real, oh boy! :grin:

2 Likes

One of my tricks on Outlook for Windows is that I can set a different colour for email where I’m only CC: in to it - makes reviewing emails on the desktop slightly quicker, as I can skim read them and see if they’re relevant and if I’m pressed for time, I can focus on mine only.

3 Likes

This is neat. How do you do that?

Pretty sure this Youtube video was is where I found it, but the instructions can be found here - though just change “Where I am” to be CC.

1 Like

This is the method I use. That is a great article and I share it often. The only thing that I add is the priority so my subject lines look like “URGENT/SIGN: Pls sign and return NLT COB.” or “ ROUTINE/INFO: Status update on monthly report”.

That way when my boss/commander sees the Urgent messages he can address it in a timely manner.

1 Like