Mount Synology NAS as Local Drive

Is Hypercloud backup a feature of Backblaze or another tier of backup ?

I’ll need to be using Bacblaze to backup some of my synology volumes soon, will need to refer back to this when I get there.

This makes sense, but is quite disturbing too.
I have been shutting my NAS down between 1AM-8AM. If backblaze runs at that time, then it would delete all of my NAS-mounted data that it has already backed up.

Why? That seems more likely to create problem than prevent them.

2 Likes

My wife doesn’t like the noise of the drives seeking. She sometimes wakes up at night and watches a movie. That could happen while I’m doing a backup. I hope to be adding some M.2 drives to act as a cache soon, to help eliminate some of that seeking. I’ll leave the NAS powered on then.

Having worked in the HDD/SSD for 26 years, I’ve grown accustomed to doing bad things to storage devices, to find out where the margin ends :wink:

I have been using NAS devices for about 10 years now. I do shut my NAS down every night (automatically) and it will launch itself in the morning. I never had any issues. :slight_smile:

Why am I doing that?

• I do not get why I should allow the device to waste energy 24/7 doing nothing.

• I know that I will not connect to the NAS at night. Having the NAS shut down in the evening, I also know that nobody else will connect to the NAS during the night… I am not running a server for anybody outside the family.

Keyboard Maestro mounts the NAS volumes reliably in the morning until my Mac Mini shuts down automatically in the evening, too. Why? Well, you might have guessed it already.

Yes, I might be crazy. Or not. :wink:

2 Likes

Most of the action on my network storage happens at night (scheduled backups and the like).

1 Like

Not sure if there is hard data, but my understanding is that on most modern computer systems, cycling off/on results in more wear than keeping them on.

That does make sense. Then again, I might be crazy: my data sync between my Mac Mini’s external SSDs with the NAS volumes happens while I am working. And when the syncing is done (several different jobs via ChronoSync take about 15 minutes per day), the Synology does its cloud backup (Synology C2) which also takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Again, no issues.

I do not know about that, but it seems plausible. It even does make sense. I have not had any issues, though. The HDDs in the NAS are between 3 to 6 years old. No problems. And the NAS itself is alive and kicking as well. All my computers are being shut down every evening. I have not had a single failure during the last 20 years. All computers ended up being sold or recycled (not because of issues, just because they got old and slow).

If something wants to consume power 24/7, it has to do something useful 24/7 in order to be allowed to use energy. That’s how I roll. :slight_smile:

Regarding backblaze, it will keep the data from disconnected external hard drives and it prompts you that the drive is missing. If the drive has been disconnected for 30 days or more, then it deletes the data from your backup.

One issue that I have with external drives is that you have to have all the drives connected within that 30 day window. For example, I wanted to have an external at home and one at the office, but backblaze would require me to have both drives on at the same location at some point.

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217665398-Backing-up-External-Hard-Drives?mobile_site=true

1 Like

That should be a problem.

I only have 1 Volume on the Synology to use with TimeMachine to backup my Macmini.
I have a separate Volume for a Window backup share too. That Windows machine has its own BB license too.

This no longer appears to work with the latest Backblaze software (v8). It was working for me for a very long time though. If anyone has another solution or workaround, I’d love to hear it.

1 Like

There’s an app in the App Store called Automounter which can mount SMB volumes into the User/Library/Containers folder. I use this to backup my Synology volumes to Backblaze. One caveat though, it won’t backup the Home volume. Backblaze added that to the mandatory exclusion list.

2 Likes

Thanks! A few questions:

What version of Backblaze are you using with this?
Is it mounting the SMB volume into ~/User/Library/Containers?
Is using Automounter any different than manually mounting a SMB share to that same bath via CLI?

I’m still trying to get this working with mount_smbfs, which I assume this app is using.

I’m using the latest version of Backblaze - 8.0.1.584
Yes ~/User/Library/Containers/AutoMounter/Data/Mounts
I don’t know.
The Automounter app is free btw. ‎AutoMounter on the App Store
You only need the pro upgrade if you want to mount under /Volumes

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks! It appears to be $9.99 right now, but I found a shareware version online I’m trying out before I buy it. So far not having any luck with the mount backing up. Would you mind sharing some details on your specific setup? AFP or SMB and is your mount read only? Or anything special about it? Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry, it looks like my setup has now also stopped working. I’m not sure why. Perhaps something to do with 8.0.1.584. It certainly did work with the previous version. Unfortunately, I don’t have the previous installer to roll it back.

I am curious: Has anyone installed the Automounter “Helper app” which is needed to mount shares outside of you Library folder?

It is not crucial that I do so, but I would for ease of use like to mount them to a specific folder in my home folder rather than within the Library. However, if the Helper app is, for example, based on a kernel extension (hopefully not!) then I would do so with Apple deprecating that mechanism.

Thanks.

Yes, I have the helper app installed. I don’t know about the technology behind the app, but it works great and solved a problem that struggling to solve. Now my shared folder gets mounted quickly every time I connect to the VPN.

@evanfuchs Thank you!