Moving to the New M1 Systems - What Works and What Doesn't

Pleased to see TextExpander native now too. I had a couple of memory warnings where Activity Monitor identified it as the culprit, hogging 7Gb of my 16Gb M1 Pro! Seems to be behaving fine with the new release.

Great post, thanks!!

Several ports (MacPorts) are now running/compiling, so there seems to be a lot of work being done in the background. Still not everything, but let’s give them some time…

Amateur radio:
fldigi is broken. My logging application (RUMlogNG) works, but no digital modes until fldigi is fixed. Work is being done, but the current Big Sur alphas don’t run on my M1. Because of that I also haven’t tested the serial interface to my transceiver (USB/serial driver).

1 Like

The (free) Go64 app from StClairSoftware (developer of DefaultFolder) lists all your installed apps and indicates whether a M1 compatible version is available.

From change history v1.2 (latest version)

The CPU architecture of applications is now shown in the application list. This lets you see which of your apps have been upgraded to natively support Apple Silicon

1 Like

I just got my license this past week and haven’t even keyed up my 2m HT yet. If you have a blog post or even a post here on MPU about your setup/how you use your Mac in your shack I’d probably read it a half-dozen times :slight_smile:

It seems there are several OMs here…

1 Like

I upgraded to an M1 this week and SpyderX works with no problems. I was running a really old version of the Spyder software so I had to upgrade the whole thing to be able to use Big Sur.

I was lucky they were running a sale on SpyderX a couple of months ago and bit the bullet and upgraded, these things are expensive. I’d keep an eye out for a sale for Boxing Day maybe.

When calibrating, does it show the monitor? Both DisplayCAL and iProfiler don’t “find” monitors.

As in: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252067418

Is Fldigi broken on the M1 computer or on Big Sur? I’m still on an older iMac running Catalina as my main operating station with my Icom 7300 that I use for SSB and digital modes. If upgrading is going to prevent me from doing FT8, PSK31 (practically unused thanks to FT8), and JS8Call, then I’m not going to upgrade. (From KJ6TTR)

It seems both make problems. W1HKJ released a Big Sur version of fldigi: http://w1hkj.com/bigsur/

It’s not running on my M1, but right now, I don’t have an Intel Mac with Big Sur to test it. Maybe somebody can download it and check it.

Hold your horses…I am making some progress with Fldigi…

I installed it through MacPorts and…IT WORKS! :slight_smile: Installing through it gets current versions of the needed libraries (fltk, hamlib, libpng, libsamplerate, libsndfile, portaudio) and that did the trick. I guess W1HKJ will update the linked libraries in the released binaries.

So, where do we stand:

• Fldigi is booting (
  • CAT control is driving me insane…right now I have a PL2303 CAT serial/USB cable and I can’t get it to communicate with the rig (unsigned drivers,…). I will look into this…
  • sound interface (SignaLink) is working. I expected this, since it’s a driverless external sound device.
  • Fldigi: everything crashed, so “IT WORKS” has to be interpreted as: it boots, it doesn’t crash, waterfall is showing. I didn’t do any QSOs and didn’t test QSO transfer to RUMlogNG.

So, the next issue I need to deal with is CAT. PL2303 might be a dead end, so I might change the chipset to FTDI. I guess I will know more in 1-2 weeks and hopefully also have the first QSOs.

As for WSJTX…at least I received some signals. With no CAT, I didn’t test sending and a full QSO…

Yes, this is a M1 Mac and BigSur:

Thanks for the update on this.

I got my wife a M1 Macbook Air for Christmas. For some reason, dragging epub files from a network drive and dropping them into the Books app does not add them to Books. We did the exact same action on my Intel Macbook Pro and it worked fine.

OWC Raid Enclosure, the Thunderbay 4 does not work and they say it might take a couple of months to get a production version of the SoftRaid software out the door.

Sucks that the fact that it does not work on the latest Mac Hardware is not mentioned anywhere on the product information.

Also the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock connected to a M1 Mac mini randomly goes offline.

I waited on the phone for tech support for 90min before hanging up.

Want to get a new Dock, not sure if OWC is the way to go.

Any Recommendations?

I would love to get one with a 10gb port but to get a 10gb switch and adaptors for my PC and NAS I think that I would be looking at $1000 worth of network gear.

1 Like

Calibrating monitors is still not possible… There are hints, that maybe “in Q1/21” this will be solved. Apple, this really sucks!

I have been having problems with Google Drive (via Google Backup and Sync) giving recurrent errors and crashing on my M1 Air. I saw a thread somewhere that suggested Insync as a Google Drive client. I’ve found it to be rock solid and very quick. Syncing is as good as Dropbox for me and a much nicer app than Backup and Sync.

It also supports One Drive, though I haven’t tried it with that.

1 Like

I’ve got a QNAP TR-002 and that works. It’s perhaps not as fast as the Thunderbolt RAID boxes though. I don’t use the software, I used the DIP switches to set it up, though I set it up as single drives and access each individually.

Used iMovie for the first time on the M1 Mac and holy-smokes was it slow. Even the spinning beachball spun slowing (not kidding). Previously I used a MacBook Escape with 8 GB RAM and this M1 with 16 GB isn’t keeping up. Quite unexpected.

Also, battery life hasn’t been close to what I expected though I do spend a lot of time in Zoom meetings.

I’ve got the M1 Macmini. Bluetooth is one thing I’ve found that doesn’t work. I’m not able to connect my Bluetooth speaker, which I know works with my iPad, iPhone and Windows laptop.

Sorry for the late reply. My SpyderX does recognize my external Dell and the MacBook displays.