Moving to the New M1 Systems - What Works and What Doesn't

I’ve got a QNAP TR-002 and that works. It’s perhaps not as fast as the Thunderbolt RAID boxes though. I don’t use the software, I used the DIP switches to set it up, though I set it up as single drives and access each individually.

Used iMovie for the first time on the M1 Mac and holy-smokes was it slow. Even the spinning beachball spun slowing (not kidding). Previously I used a MacBook Escape with 8 GB RAM and this M1 with 16 GB isn’t keeping up. Quite unexpected.

Also, battery life hasn’t been close to what I expected though I do spend a lot of time in Zoom meetings.

I’ve got the M1 Macmini. Bluetooth is one thing I’ve found that doesn’t work. I’m not able to connect my Bluetooth speaker, which I know works with my iPad, iPhone and Windows laptop.

Sorry for the late reply. My SpyderX does recognize my external Dell and the MacBook displays.

I use the X-Rite i1Display Pro and neither X1Profiler or DisplayCAL recognize monitors. Let’s see when the updates arrive. “1st Quarter 21” was announced.

1 Like

What is the purpose of calibrating monitors? In all of the years I’ve been using computers I’ve never heard of this.

1 Like

To have an end-to-end color managed workflow and not run into surprises when printing.

Very simple explanation: When going to a electronics store, did you notice the image of every monitor/TV is different, even when displaying the exact same picture/video? Some are warmer, some colder, some “bluer”, some “richer”, etc.

When calibrating/profiling a monitor you measure exactly how the monitor displays colors and brightness. That allows you to not only avoid getting color shifts, but (using printer ICC profiles) preview how a print would look on a certain printer/paper combination. You take the guesswork out of the equation.

5 Likes

Screenflow has been updated and works.

Homebrew has been updated and works.

Pyenv won’t compile the latest Python, even though the latest Python works on M1. (My understanding is that there’s a fix in the works that hasn’t been released yet.)

4 Likes

An update: if you install pyenv by cloning from the GitHub repository, then try installing Python 3.9.1, all is right with the world. :grin:

So far as I know, 3.9.0 isn’t compatible. At least, pyenv won’t compile it.

Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 stops after about 10 pages when connected to the M1 via USB. Fujitsu is aware of the problem and is working on it. Their recommended workaround is to connect via WiFi. Even after scanner firmware update they were unable to get it to connect on my machine

Box.com…seriously?!? Love my new M1 MBPro, but, after clean installing all the core necessities–1P, Office365, DropBox, and other bits–just hit my first, and potentially, crippling problem. Box.com’s local client isn’t wired up for the M1s. That’s a huge issue for people tethered to Box’s integration/file share. I hadn’t seen this discussed in any of the big picture pluses and minuses with the M1, but now see a support note w/ Box saying they’ll have betas in “early 2021”. Yep…I should’ve done the digging first, but, seriously, how could they be lagging behind this badly? A web experience for realtime file share ain’t gonna’ cut it. Has anyone found an end run/work around for this? As this is an enterprise collaboration issue with colleagues/clients, I can’t see simply switching to iCloud or Dropbox as a workable solution. Too many things about the M1 that I’d hate to give up, but I did get it to get work done, so a re-boxing might be unavoidable. Welcome any suggestions for those among us tethered to Box.

M1 Mac Mini: This may be a Big Sur problem. On open dialog boxes such as in Pages, Preview, Firefox, Safari, I can’t click on anything. Not even Cancel. No files. Nothing responds to a click. Some work-arounds: I can find the file in Finder and drag it to the dialog box or I can press Esc to cancel or Return to open the selected file. The arrow keys work within the open folder. Mouse clicks do not register at all. I’m using a wired mouse and wired keyboard.

I restarted and it is working now

I know a lot of people don’t like it as much as Box Drive, but Box Sync works on M1 Macs. I’m using it with my MBA and for me, it’s been an acceptable workaround. Some other people are using CloudMounter but I didn’t want to add another app into the mix.

It looks like VLC has issues when playing BluRay Discs.
After installing the BluRay decoder file/lib for VLC- here How to Play Blu-ray Movie with VLC on Windows & Mac

I’ve had an M1 Mac mini for just under 2 months. It’s been stable, but a few things don’t work well.

I’ve just plugged in an Archgon USB3 DVD/Bluray drive to an Anker 7-port USB3 hub.
Yes, the hub is powered by an external power supply. The Anker USB hub is plugged into one of the native USB ports on the back of the Mac mini.

When I attempted to watch a Bluray movie in the drive using VLC, my system had a KP. The first KP since I got the M1 Mac mini.

After rebooting, I sent the error report to Apple, and tried running VLC again. The same thing happened. I rebooted and sent the error report to Apple.

I should do that a few more times so that Apple knows it’s repeatable and have several panic dumps in order to troubleshoot.

So much for ripping my movies and getting Plex up & running :frowning:

I’m now playing a regular DVD with VLC without any issues…

Either VLC has a problem with BluRay or the BR lib for VLC are bad.
I’m going to post this in the VLC forum too.

I am interested, was this ever resolved. I have been looking at an upgrade to an M1, but I use iMovie quite a lot. This would be a killer for me.

Nick

Does it work with HD DVDs or Ultra HD Blu-ray?

I agree, Zoom is very demanding and it drains the battery of a M1 quickly. However, is a Java application, so expect it to be 6-7x more demanding on resources - like all Java apps. I use work computers for sharing Zoom presentations (in a classroom) and with this my Air does live up to its battery life promises. It usually has 30% of charge even after using it 10+ hours use doing light tasks like task management, screencast recording, productivity apps and web browsing.

I don’t have any of those types of discs.

What if you plug it directly into the Mac Mini?