Mulling a standing desk

@robin I am looking at the Idåsen. Do you find the cable management net good enough or have you added additional items? I am thinking of perhaps screwing an additional cable management tray underneath if the net is not big enough - some people have commented elsewhere that it is small or too tightly stretched.

The biggest issue I saw when I was looking at standing desks was stability in the “raised” position. I’d go to your local Ikea, raise the desk up to whatever height you plan to use it at, and check the stability. Look for side-to-side wobble in particular.

As long as you’re happy with that, I’d get it. It’s rated for something like 154 pounds, and there’s a 1-year return policy (at least in the US) - so risk is relatively low, other than having to transport the desk back to the store for the return once it’s assembled.

1 Like

To try it out, I built one out of an Ikea Lack table, shelving brackets, and a shelf. Instructions here: https://alphacolin.com/ikea-standing-desk-for-22-dollars/

2 Likes

I find it good enough, but only just. I have a big power strip in there with a couple power bricks plugged into it, including the power supply for the desk itself. It works, but it is a tight squeeze and kind of a pain to plug and unplug anything. I think an extra cable tray underneath would be a nice addition.

2 Likes

I can only comment on the benefits of being able to change positions while at the desk; in my case, the desk height doesn’t adjust, the user does. The countertop-style desk I built is permanently at standing height and we simply use taller chairs if we want to sit (bar stools were fine but we have chairs now.) My wife and I will never go back to standard height desks. We both find that our comfort and energy during a work day changes often enough that having multiple options on how to work in front of a workstation is critical to our productivity. I feel like the ability to change positions (sitting, standing, standing but leaning back on a tall chair, leaning forward w/ elbows on the desk) prevents fatigue and bad sitting posture.

I believe that if one must do a lot of desk work, being able to change positions whether with a height-adjustable desk or tall desk with a tall chair is better for one’s physical health than a standard desk. I don’t know if it’s “good” per se, but at least it is less bad.

Uh oh, I feel like I’m about to go down the rabbit hole of the efforts required for good physical health in general (e.g., Strength Training / Barbell Prescription), so I’ll cut myself off here.

2 Likes

Have asked a related question regarding control apps for standing desks in another thread.
See here: Standing desk apps

I have the IKEA Bekant and just had it shipped from Austria to the UK with my other things - so I really like it! There is a bit of wobble when I’m using it at the standing height, but not a huge amount and as I got it for less than half price second hand in a like new condition, I’m very happy with it. Especially with my shift to working from home forever, I can’t wait to be in my new place with my desk so I can stand for some time every day to make up a little for my lack of walk to work!

2 Likes