My first mechanical keyboard

Nice! What palmrests are those?

Listen to me, don’t even think of artisan keycaps. That will break your wallet.

3 Likes

What did you like about the ortholinear layout ?

As I am only starting out (and hopefully stopping soon to invest money …) those are the cheapest I found on Amazon.de that are not gel. They have a neoprene/fabric feel. This was a gut decision, because my MS Sculpt also has fabric wirst palmrests. Gel might be easier to clean.

I was trying to learn touch typing for real this time and I was annoyed that I had to move my fingers sideways.

It feels much better now!
The column stagger is especially good for me, because I have short pinkies. They used to rest on the lower row, when the other fingers were on the homerow. Now they can join the homerow club :slight_smile:

Productivity-wise it did not pay out (yet …) as I have to adapt to the new keyboard and learn my new layout (Colemak inspired).

For sure. There are lots of people that collect keeboards (keebs as they say). I said to myself, just one good keyboard. Then a duplicate for the office.
But now the temptations are really hard to fight. This way, the high prices are quite good, so you don’t “accidentally” buy another one.
But I am looking forward to buying a second one for the office. And I will probably break my rule that both setups have to be identical.

I never even thought of this…

Then don’t start now :wink:

Of course the index still moves sideways …

1 Like

I’ve been sorely tempted by this set, but at more than I paid for my keyboard, it’s a hard sell.

https://www.keychatter.com/2018/12/04/novelkeys-star-wars-galactic-empire-dsa-launching-soon/

Yes it has Alps switches.

1 Like

I switched to a mech. keyboard a couple years ago – Corsair K70 w Brown switches and I put o-ring dampeners on every key.

I’m switching back to an Apple keyboard, just not into the Mechanical feel honestly, but it’s certainly something you might love if you’ve never tried it.

I don’t say this to be ‘edgy’ or ‘counter’ but maybe it will help someone feel better about not “getting the hype” and maybe saving a couple hundred bucks – I type very quickly but in a non-traditional way that’s better suited to a keyboard I can more easily slide my hands across.

And the noise, oh god the clacking. Even with dampening rings and Brown’s, oh god…

But if you haven’t ever used a mechanical keyboard, try one! You might fall in love with the feel.

1 Like

:notes: It’s music to my ears. :banjo:

YMMV

I think you may have just cost me almost $350 even though I have a really good, recently cleaned, Code keyboard (104 keys, Green with red O-Rings).

1 Like

Oh man! :slight_smile: I thought about getting the CODE. I will say that it will take you a while to get used to the new layout but (it took me about a month to be totally comfortable with all my keyboard shortcuts although I typed well on it in the first week), when you do, it is great. At first, the keys almost felt too light (I was using MX blues before) but, now, I am not sure I want to type on anything else other than Topre switches. Let me know how you like it. Report back here when it arrives. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Which one did you buy?

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone, just typing this from my new Keychron K2 Mechanical Keyboard.

So loud that my wife now knows if I’m in my office anytime of the day!

5 Likes

Wow, how hard are you typing? I switched to the K2 from a Coolermaster MasterKeys Pro L w/ Cherry Browns and the K2 is quieter than the Coolermaster (and that’s after I installed O-rings meant to make it quieter).

I wasn’t in the market but I wanted to be able to stealth-type during calls and using the Coolermaster was like putting up a giant banner reading I’m typing through this whole meeting.

1 Like

Mine is Keychron K6. Got it paired with my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro. Custom Keycaps made by a local artisan. Got a brown switch. Would love a blue but I already typed so loud, my brown sounds like a blue.

5 Likes

Yes! “Stealth typing!” I may revert to the Apple keyboard when I’m on a call! I don’t type that loud it’s just louder than the Apple keyboard!

1 Like

But the feel… oh, it feels so good, right?

2 Likes