My Life Is A Subscription!

I finally turned off cable!!!

1 Like

Updated for 2019 February subscription list. This year it definitely grew significantly with added sub and removed some subscription that I no longer are using. I’m still using Bobby app to track my subscription

Entertainment:
Apple Music Family
Netflix Ultra HD
Hulu (using a DNS server)
Prime Video
Scribd
Mubi
Hooq

Apps
Ulysses
1Password Families
Bear
Todoist
Headspace
Castro
Agenda (iOS only)
Carrot Premium
Grammarly

Services
iCloud 2TB
Feedbin
PlaymoTV

Learning
Skillshare
Masterclass
Bussu

Website
Letterboxd
Wired
Vox Lab
2 Squarespace website
3 domains thru Hover

Subscriptions that I used in the past but didn’t renew
Bright Wall/Dark Room
Blinkist
Audm
Filmstruck (RIP)
Duet Display Air - since I’m iPad Pro only at home and I now have an extra display at work
Backblaze - no Mac to back-up
Design+Code
Pocket

I quit the following subscriptions today:

• Fantastical
  • TextExpander
  • Day One

Those are three apps I used heavily for years. But I find I’m not getting enough value from them to justify continuing to pay.

I have no objection to a subscription business model, or for a developer switching from one-time payments to subscription. But I need to get value to pay.

I also quit Apple TV+. I’ll be back for The Morning Show Season 2, or if something else catches my fancy. Easy to subscribe, easy to unsubscribe.

4 Likes

One more: I just cancelled my $119 annual Dropbox account, which expires in 10 days. I’m pretty sure I can get everything I need from iCloud plus the free Dropbox tier.

As a test, I moved everything out of the Dropbox sync folder except for one small folder that I still want to use with Dropbox. We’ll see if anything breaks!

I’ve been using Dropbox for at least 10 years, so this feels like more of a big deal than it probably actually is.

I’m with you on Apple TV+. So far, I have not been that impressed. I hope they up their game.

I still don’t understand why Apple just didn’t acquire Vimeo and launch with a two pronged approach with major studio projects buttressed up by Indie content. Basically a classier YouTube.

Trying to survive off of boutique programming is exceedingly difficult in today’s market.

1 Like

Or buy Disney! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I purchased an iPhone 11 so I’m not paying for ATV+. But I’ve not found a lot I like on the service. Recently I’ve been enjoying Amazing Stories but it wouldn’t be worth $10/month.

The only Apple subscriptions I currently have is Music. And AirPods Pro. If they last as long as my original AirPods I figure they cost me about $9.66/month.

1 Like

Right now Apple has me hooked on Apple Music, Apple News+, and iCloud. Pretty happy with the services, and pretty well ensconced in them; I feel I’m definitely getting my money’s worth.

When I get my next iPhone at the end of the year I plan to use the iPhone Upgrade Program, which is essentially a hardware subscription service.

We’re watching Dickinson, following @MacSparky’s recommendation. We’re enjoying it, though I wish they had gone for period language and music rather than 21st Century language and music. Dickinson’s real-life life was anachronistic and weird enough.

1 Like

FWIW, I’m on upgrade program and opted not to upgrade this year. I’m paying out the subscription and then I’m done. And I’m not hearing anything about this year’s phone that makes me want to upgrade.

It’s not that I’m dissatisfied with my iPhone XS. Quite the contrary; I’m happy with it and don’t see a reason to change.

1 Like

Agree… with the recent improvements on iCloud, I went ahead and upgraded to the 2TB plan and add my wife and kids’s into the family to share this. And I have moved all my files from One Drive and Dropbox into iCloud and the sync has been solid. No complain there. And it also works very well on the Windows PC too!

iCloud 2 TB
Apple Arcade
Apple TV+
Disney +
CBS All Access
Carrot Weather
Day One
Drafts
Apple News
HBO Now
Apple Music
Ulysses
Netflix ( I would cancel this but my wife likes Netflix)
Hulu
Amazon Prime
Eero Secure ( Includes 1Password, Encrypt.me, and Malwarebytes )

Do you know if you can add devices above the three that are included with malwarebytes with eero + ?

I’ve never tried. It’s just me and my wife on this.