My thoughts on Hey.com after using it for five months

Has anyone switched to Hey from Spark? Items that I’ve read here - auto sorting mail into “buckets, snoozing, thread handling is handled pretty well with Spark. What is it that would make me switch?

I’m curious.

1 Like

I have tried Hey and possibly every email app under the sun, and I have landed on Spark. It’s not perfect, but I find it’s the “least worst” of them all.

Spark does snoozing flawlessly as well as send later and custom domains (which Hey does not). It has a smart inbox which does decent filtering but I find it very badly implemented (read emails sink with all read emails with not further sorting, which defeats the whole purpose). Threads work as with any other app, but they work well. I find Spark is really well complemented by Sanebox, at least until they improve their smart inbox thingie.

Yes, I continue to use Spark. You hit my one gripe – emails sort beautifully into “smart folders” while unread (though you do have to train them on every platform, the filter doesn’t sync), you can’t set it to keep the sorting once the email is read. It works fine if you deal with them immediately. i.e. delete, reply, move to another folder, but if you do nothing other than read, then Spark sets them to the “seen” smart folder. I’d prefer them to stay in the Personal, Notifications, and Newsletters smart folders. I’ve got into habit of “flagging” any emails I want to deal with later, this way they are sorted into the “flagged” smart folder.

I’ve requested them to make the change several times, and allow read emails remain in their respective smart folder. btw, for non-spark users, you can switch to a regular inbox on the fly.

1 Like

John Voorhees and Federico have lots more discussion about Hey on AppStories:

1 Like

MailMate forever! But I also tried Hey and quickly abandoned it. Email is just too central to a lawyer’s workflow to be put in the box that DHH came up with. It’s not a bad service by any means…in fact, I would probably keep using it for my personal email, but it just wasn’t worth $99/year to me.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I don’t see anything in Hey that makes it worth $100/year.

1 Like

There was a recent Hey update that might interest some:

2 Likes

I can’t imagine using an email service for work without built in calendaring and contact management. Thought about using for personal domain, but I do like Fastmail has CalDav and CardDav support. Love trying new things, but going to wait for now!

1 Like

Interesting, but, after lots of experimenting, I much, much prefer centralising all my email tasks in my task manager so that I know exactly to do with what email when, how urgent it is, and how long it will take me. It implies a little bit of maintenance, but I find having it all in the same system is very calming for the mind. I know what I have to do without opening my email app… and running the risk of getting derailed.

1 Like