My usual complaint after an Apple event

Well, when we are not in the week after these ridiculous phone extravaganzas, we DO get different perspectives on everything. Whether it be Captain MacSparky 's calm demeanor through perils of the Jungle Cruise of apple automation, Siracusa complaining that the volume up and down buttons are the wrong shape, or not far enough apart, or on the wrong side to Leo Laporte telling about what apple gear he took on his latest vacation, or Marco whining that Apple will not answer his bug reports. Lots of podcasts are always better.

It is just this week that it seems like there are too many apple podcasts because they are ALL recapping the same (what has become lately) nothingburger. :grinning:

when the macs are introduced, this will likely change though.

Maybe think of it as a good week to explore non-Apple podcasts?

I listen to these while running, and I count on the September Event Podcast Coverage Extravaganza to distract me from the fact that there are a bunch of bears roaming my neighbourhood by giving me more financial things to be worried over :grimacing::grin:

1 Like

Too late. I already listened to Sunday’s Chip Chippeson Podacast. :grinning:

1 Like

You only have to out run the person running with you. As the proverb says, “I don’t have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you.” :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah We’ve got bears, bobcats, coyotes and deer all over just showing up on the game camera.
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.17.11 PM

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.17.57 PM

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.20.14 PM

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.22.20 PM

5 Likes

This is the guy who surprised me the other day as I ran by.

7 Likes

Dare I suggest Hemispheric Views as an alternative tech-adjacent podcast?

2 Likes

Big one, That would actully get me running a LOT faster!

The bears here are in massive fatten up mode so everything is on the menu right now.

2 Likes

I rather like the Apple Events. It is interesting how they generate such (feigned?) enthusiasm. I could do without the music though.

I don’t have a lot of expectations ergo I am not disappointed. I enjoy trying out the new modifications. OK. So I may catch up on my sleep.

For a variety of reasons, I’m unable to watch most Apple events live (or can only put them on as background noise) or catch up with them in a reasonable amount of time after it happens. Having podcasts like the various ones on Relay.fm recap what I wasn’t able to watch and do the work of getting further into “what does this feature do” and “what did that slide really mean?” helps me out a lot. Explain to me what I need to look for when I install the new software (especially since there will be 7 iOS devices across 4 people in my household and they’re all coming to me when things change or don’t work), or help me sort out what I’ll be giving up (or gaining) by getting this device instead of that other one.

2 Likes

Mercy. But, I think he is after that deer if you look closely. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This reminds me of what my wife said once when she and I was counseling a younger married couple. In answer to the question, “what is the secret to your long (39 years) and good marriage?” To which she replied, “set low expectations.” :rofl:

She insists that she meant that you don’t go into marriage planning to change the other person, “you got what you got.” I’m not convinced. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m typically pleasantly surprised. But I don’t have the computer background most of you have. Whereas you may see improvements that can be easily or logically made, I’m more focused on learning. Also I have been relying on an iPad for a good eight years. So I’m relearning much of the Mac. But it’s coming back to me and I love it. The sky’s the limit. Creative people are over represented on the Mac!

I hope that makes more sense!

1 Like

To add to your point I think the games on Relay (The Rickies and the Draft) make these episodes some of the most fun.

I always find such “roundup” episodes of scant value. At the same time, I don’t blame the hosts for making these because it’s their job and all job have errands that are unproductive yet unavoidable. Neither are they conspiring to clog your podcast conduit by releasing all at once; they just happen to be reporting a popular company which is also the subject of numerous fellow shows. So, the best reaction is to perform a multiple selection & archive, and enjoy hours of saved listening time on other quality materials.