My VPN renews soon, should I renew?

Sweet. I have suggested 1.1.1.1 w/WARP to non-techie friends who don’t want to hassle with VPN’s. Glad you brought this up.

a roll your own wireguard solution to vpn to your home and from there onto the internet would probably cost you around 60-70 pounds or so. I would weigh that into your decision. (raspberry pi + pivpn f.e.)

Most of this depends on your trust level. Do you trust your VPN provider?
For me the answer was: I don’t, not just because most are US based or non-EU providers, and so I rolled my own. A raspberry pi 4 with ubuntu 20.04 server and Wireguard (you could use PiVPN (https://www.pivpn.io)). It cost me around 45 euro’s at the time, and about half an hour to set up.

It’s been running for 1.5 years now with near 100% uptime and 0 issues. It’s fast, lightweight and the iOS and macOS clients support on-demand activation making it a set and forget option for me and my family.

1 Like

Sadly due to despicable scalpers, Raspberry Pi’s are difficult to get a hold of or as expensive as a traditional computer.

They really should make scalping illegal and scalpers should get a real job.

VPNs are like curtains on your windows, but people still know where you live. VPNs also wont work against most State actors. NSA and their counterparts both Allied and enemies have more computing power to crack/access your data than you’ll ever defend against.

But, if you want to prevent amateur hackers, scammers, spam and a variety of other internet nasties, then a VPN will help a lot. If you really want true privacy write a letter or go to your local library and do your research there with “shelfware” aka books. :slight_smile:

Or if you’re lucky your current router already can act as a VPN server.

My ASUS router can act as an OpenVPN or IKEv2 server.

Newer models will also be able to host Wireguard with the next major firmware release.

True, though the problem with OpenVPN clients on iOS I had in the past was it was a manual on/off, where the wireguard client supports on demand for both Wifi and Cellular/LTE. That’s why I switched, but it’s a very good option if your router supports it

That must have been really long ago; it’s possible since iOS 6:

nice! wish I’d known that :slight_smile: