Need A Firewall Recommendation For Locking Down Remote Login

If you call 0,4% a large percentage you’re right. In my book that’s next to nothing.

I said internet infrastructure. Didn’t say World Wide Web. Wasn’t trying to one up you with my comment. Thanks for the stat, but my point remains the same and is still 100% accurate.

1 Like

I noticed the word infrastructure. But even then. In the - admittedly long - list of BSD derivatives I could only identify Junos OS (for Juniper routers) as being something of (significant) importance. Cisco’s IOS seems to be proprietary, or at least not based on BSD. So my honest question remains what infrastructure runs on BSD? I couldn’t find any data on that. But now I’m curious.

Wait; so proprietary software can’t have its foundation in open source? Most if not all OEM appliances for routing or switching, ANY type of security for that matter leverages some form of *nix kernel. Cisco IOS, Junos, and others all have origins based on BSD. IOS XE is now has a Linux based foundation, but I’m not sure if that’s running on core routers outside of the ASR line and is much newer. For years, the best firewalls were all deployed on OpenBSD. Much of the early voice/data switching networks of the early internet were based on BSD, and are still running flavors of BSD. OpenBSD is still arguably the most secure OS that’s widely deployed. Keep in mind, companies don’t necessarily like to publish this information, but if you look, it’s there.

The relevant article also supports the “companies don’t necessarily like to publish this information…” point: “Unix is used by 71.0% of all the websites whose operating system we know.” That 71% includes BSD.

And when they break that down, Linux is 44.4%, BSD is 0.6%, there are a few scattered small numbers, and then there’s this colossal “Unknown” category that’s 55.1%. It’s entirely possible there’s a large BSD contingent in a data set that size. :slight_smile: And as you mentioned, that’s only “websites” - not routing appliances, etc.

Hi,

A few months ago, I was also facing a firewall issue when I troubleshoot my devices I see my devices were un-secure so after searching on the internet how I can secure my all home devices. I found dmoat. After buying dmoat and connect it with my router my all devices are secure.