Need software solution for setting up a small lending library

I’m starting a small lending library for my job (around 150 books) and am trying to find the right software solution to manage it. I will be mostly bringing books to people at events, etc, but I would like to have a way to catalog the titles and make that accessible online so people can browse available titles and let me know what books they would like to check out.

Any ideas? I’m guessing I could make a google doc work, but there has to be a more elegant solution, right?

Thanks!

Airtable would be my best suggestion

2 Likes

Airtable would be a good choice. Though, with only 150 books you could just put up a web page listing the title/author of each book and whether it was available or not.

1 Like

Another vote for Airtable. They have a Book Catalog template that you could build on.

2 Likes

I built some software to do this once, a book management system is actually a pretty easy bit of software to make.

My vote would be for air table or even a read only google sheet.

Pretty much any CMS should be able to do book management if you want it too, though that would be overkill unless you plan on extending your library

1 Like

TinyCat is made by the makers of LibraryThing. Handles circulation, etc.

1 Like

There’s also an app called Delicious Library that allows you to track books (and other physical items). It also has a lending feature. You can also generate an online catalog using your Dropbox account so people can view your books online.

Love how you can add books by scanning the barcode with your laptop’s camera or with the companion app. Uses only Amazon as reference for books. Not reliable if you plan to use it for your record collection.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input everyone. I appreciate the suggestions. I started an airtable and it’s working out very nicely.

1 Like

The book catalog template was hugely helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

Good to hear, @caitlin…and you’re very welcome!

1 Like

Which would be the successor to Bento? That was a simple, easy and affordable database and would have been the right product for such a project.