New 11 with LTE or 12.9 WiFi Only

I think the more pertinent question should be what is more important to you, cellular connectivity or the size depending on your use of the iPad Pro. I’m in the market for a new iPad, and I went to the Apple Store and held both in my hand to make that assessment, as size is the deciding factor to me. I’m going to go with the 12.9.

As for cellular connectivity, I have an older 9.7 pro, I find myself using cellular less and less these days. You can also hotspot from your phone whenever you need to.

I always get an iPad with cellular except with the iPad Pro due to budgetary reason. From iPad 1 to 3 to iPad Air I always get an iPad with cellular. But using hotspot has become so much reliable and easier to connect than it used to. There are times that I wished that I have a cellular on my iPad but somehow since I changed the way I used my iPad (I removed all social media apps/messaging apps, email) I find that it lessens my need for cellular on my iPad and focused more on creation on my iPad since it doesn’t have a readily available internet connection.

The only time that I connect my iPad to hotspot is when I need to sync data to iCloud or sync photos for editing.

If you find yourself always needing to have a constant connection and working remotely then I suggest you get a cellular version. Otherwise, a wifi version would fit your need.

Although I am a strong proponent of cellular, I suggest considering which feature would impact your usage most often, screen size or cellular?

I have always bought cellular and, although I do not need it a ton, it comes in very handy when I do need it. Personally, I like the 11” iPad because I use it in my hand as a tablet just as much as I do on a desk with a keyboard. I can easily see, however, the benefits a larger screen would bring to an iPad used primarily on a desk.

@RosemaryOrchard I don’t mean to say you can get cellular for free, but to point out there doesn’t have to be a monthly cost for it. TMobile (and maybe others internationally?) offer packs of data. The one I use the most is 5GB that lasts for 5 months for $10 or so. Then you just use what you need. Since there is often wifi around, I can use my cellular data when I really need it. It doesn’t always last me the 5 months, but sometimes it does (depends on how much I’ve been traveling).

For people who use cellular constantly, that type of plan may not work out. But for those who want to have it available when they need it on occasion, these types of data plans are fantastic.

Again, not sure what other carriers offer or what the international plans are like (I’ve found international data plans to be WAY better than US ones…you guys have it figured out!).

@ACautionaryTale That’s a great point, too — that’s a hard requirement for me since I use my iPad when I fly.

Consider me another “tethering is good enough for my use case” vote.

I’ve owned every iPad since the original, and the original is the only one I bought with cellular, primarily because my cell plan didn’t include tethering at that point.

While I have had to fiddle with tethering a couple of times over the last year, I’d say it’s gotten better and nowadays, I’m surprised when it doesn’t work automatically.

T-Mobile isn’t an option for me due to signal issues in rural areas where I travel for work, so my only choice for cellular would be to add it to our plan.

While I would love to have GPS on the iPad every once in a great while, that’s the only thing I would gain. I can’t justify the $150 (not sure why the price for cellular went up on these models) plus $10+taxes & fees each month to Verizon.

I will say my best friend travels a lot for his job and he insists on and just purchased the 2018 12.9 with cellular. He bought his through Verizon and is paying $65/mo for it for a couple years. I’m done with debt, though, so I will feel the pain more when I pay for mine up front, which is another reason I skip cellular.

2 Likes

OK, not to mince words here, but there is, generally speaking, a cost for having cellular, whether it is a monthly plan for data, or purchasing it in packs as you describe.

I’ve always had cellular in my iPads, just for the convenience. On the new 11 inch I ordered, I’ll just swap out the Verizon SIM card from my old device to my new device, and my current plan should work, I hope. The plan I’m on now (1GB data for $20 per month) no longer exists, and a comparable plan costs $35! :tired_face:

Not disputing or arguing with anyone, just clarifying: GPS is enabled on the cellular version whether or not you get a cellular data plan. It’s just there.

2 Likes

Thanks - I did not know that, but of course it makes sense.

@tgara You aren’t mincing words, but I never said there was no cost. Just that there doesn’t have to be a monthly cost. To some people that might actually make a difference for their budget, and I was just wanting to point that out.

1 Like

It sounds like everyone is saying basically the same thing: if budget is limited, you have to pick and choose to set of options that best meets your needs. If, like me, you find cellular useful, then then you to get it. If size is more important and tethering meets your needs for cellular, go for size. If you need size and cellular, maybe you can defer another purchase (pencil or keyboard) for a while.

Each of us has another needs set. I happen to use enough data that it’s worthwhile for me to keep my unlimited data plan in the iPad (and yes it costs me 29.99/month) along with my cheaper data limited plan on my phone. My needs of course differ from everyone else’s.

If money were not an issue, I’d have gone for 1 TB of storage, but I feel I need cellular more than storage, so I went for 256 GB and cellular to allow enough in the budget for the keyboard and pencil, both of which have seen much use on my older (generation 1) iPad Pro 9,7” and I expect will do the same on the new 12.9” upgrade.

It’s a matter of figuring out your personal needs, and importantly, trying to figure out the cost of NOT having something. For example, the keyboard saves me enough typing time to be worth the huge cost of the Smart Folio in improved productivity. If you rarely type on your iPad, the Smart Folio is probably not a good expenditure for you, and you might do better with a $20 third party Bluetooth keyboard for those less frequent times when you want a keyboard.

1 Like

Or we can delay gratification… not eat the marshmallow… save some more money…

So much great feedback. Thank you. Coincidently, when I went to see what was available at the local Apple Stores, the 12.9” 256 GB model was only available in the WiFi version and they did have the 11” for cellular. Since I wanted it for an upcoming trip, I ended up getting the 12.9” WiFi only.

I did find out that my wife and I had an employee purchasing plan with Apple that would help reduce the cost of the devices. I was just about the pull the trigger on the 12.9” with cellular and saw it was not available. Also, and this is an important note, when my wife and I discussed the possibility of additional costs monthly or every 3-5 months, I got the look. WiFi was the way to go if I wanted to justify the expense…:).

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and guidance. I apprecaite the direction. Thank you.

2 Likes

That look always seems to be the final word, doesn’t it? Lol!

Congrats on your purchase, I’m sure you’re going to love it.

My MacBook Pro is on the fritz (display issues) and my employer just bought me a new iMac for use at work, I’m sort of at a crossroads with wondering if I need to have another MacBook Pro these days or if I would get along fine with an improved iPad Pro (I’m still rocking the 1st gen)

2 Likes