New 2021 MBP 16 CHARGER

Hi All,

This continues to be my most reliable place for answers so here’s another one. I have a new MBP 16 (2021)… I love this machine! Im looking for a battery to carry around in my briefcase. The one that came with the MBP is huge! Can I just use any decent MBP USB C battery I have from previous M1 Pro (the original)? I understand it will slowly charge and possible even drain while using, but for my travels I just use the computer all day and then charge all night so a smaller, lower capacity battery works fine. Im just concerned because this computer uses the newer gallium nitride technology and want to be sure.

Thanks.

Do you mean charger instead of battery? If so, then yes, any reasonably capable USB C charger will charge your MBP, though lower capacity ones may take quite a while to do so.

2 Likes

And very low powered bricks might lead to battery depletion.

1 Like

Yeah, if you’re using the computer at the same time as you’re trying to charge it then any power adaptor that can’t meet the demand of the in-use computer will result in a drain of the battery.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry. I meant charger ! Thanks for the replies

1 Like

Apple provide the charger they do for a reason, I think you need to research very carefully before using something else long term.

1 Like

Good Point - That’s why I asked… For this purpose it would only be for travel and I would use the machine all day and then charge overnight. Not really to use daily

There’s nothing wrong and no danger (short or long term) in using a non-Apple charger if it’s from a reputable brand. I’ve never traveled with the stock Apple charger (for any usb C laptop) because they’re always too big*. There are some great options out there that have USB at 45-65 watts and are smaller. Some also include a USB A port. There’s nothing magical about Apple’s USB-C adapters.

(*Or I can get more functionality from a similar size.)

2 Likes

Anker do Gallium Nitride (GaN) ones that are a lot smaller - however, certainly on the UK site, the largest is a 65W charger. However, they are a decent brand and I use a lot of Anker products at home now, because they’re cheap but seem to be really good quality.

(And I’ve just seen how small the Anker Nano II 30W charger is compared to the Apple one - I feel a visit to Amazon!)

1 Like

Absolutely true. I have 2 MacBooks and an iPad Pro and never use the stock Apple chargers and this has never, ever caused a problem. I do make sure that the chargers that I use are from reputable brands, of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

While the new MacBook chargers (included) are massive 90+V - the batteries are incredible too. I think for many of us we’ll only need to charge overnight in our hotel rooms while traveling. In that case, we don’t need the massive voltage output.

I travel quite a bit, and all I’m doing for my 16" is adding the MagSafe charging cable to my existing travel kit.