New AirPods Pro

I’m intrigued by these, although my current AirPods are humming along nicely.

I’ve never liked the in-ear earphones previously - does that automatically mean I should strike them off my wish list? I’d love to try-before-I-buy, but that’s probably not realistic.

Airpods are my favorite Apple device. Seamless switching between Macs and iOS devices, great for video and conference calls, amazing for the gym. These are automatically bought.

1 Like

Apple Stores will have try-ons - I guess other places will too

Mine will be here later today. Third pair of AirPods I buy this year… Just could not resist.

1 Like

I’ll need to try a pair too. The last pair of in-ear buds I had hurt my ears so bad I couldn’t wear them and they weren’t cheap! Even with the smallest of ear tips they were still uncomfortable.

Airpods hurt me—I knew that from trying my wife’s. Still, I thought my ears might get used to them, so I bought a pair and wore them frequently for a week or so.

The things only hurt more by the end of the week, so I returned them!

Point being: Apple’s return policy is pretty amazing. I think you get two weeks, no questions asked, with these kinds of accessories. Of course, I’d ask a few questions re: returning before buying—I don’t want to be blamed for a $300 hole in your pocket!

In ear devices also irritate my ears after prolonged use. I’m considering the Beats Solo Pro instead.

I ordered them as well, I usually cannot stand silicon inside my ears for long but I will give it a try since Apple’s return policy is generous.
Also I find I had more problems with my Airpods 2nd Gen compared to the 1st Gen: Pairing slower when changing devices, sound going only to one airpod requiring repairing,…

This type of thing (the silicone add on) is great and provide good value, but they only provide noise isolation, not noise cancellation. Presumably, these would make Gen 1 or 2 perform like Pro with noise cancellation turned off.

Ah, yes! Thanks for the clarification. Definitely not the same. But it does make the standard AirPod quite a bit better and might be worth a try for folks hesitant to plop down another $250.

Had them now for a few hours.
First impressions:

• noise canceling is far from complete and you can hear close conversation and vehicles

• Fit is better than before, cannot imagine these falling out

• Great sound even better than the last ones from spring. Not oppressively loud bass!!!

• the force touch controls are really great!!

All in all not worth upgrading for the noise cancelation but if you are in for new AirPods or headphones, these are great!!

1 Like

That’s rather interesting to read, given that other in-ear headphones that form a seal are noted for having much better bass response. What equalizer setting are you using in the Music app?

Mine just arrived, and while I haven’t had a ton of time to play with them, I find the noise cancellation to be just about perfect. It blocks out traffic noise, and quiets conversation with the person who’s talking directly to me. Transparency mode seems like a good hybrid between full cancellation and none.

With the cancellation turned off, the sound level is similar to my Beats Pro.

Off on a train ride this afternoon. I’ll report in once I’m back online.

None, I havn’t found any that I like better than default. I find the bass very good on the AirPods Pro, not to loud and very nuanced. Listened to some Prog Metal with great bass (Control Denied - What if?) and it sounds great. Not a fan of fat bass sound, though! I dislike the bass sound of my HomePod quite a lot!

1 Like

I bought the Powerbeats Pro, and I know I’m going to get these - it’s just a question of when my conscience will finally be talked into it.

2 Likes

Tried them out last night and found them to be great. Thought they were too fat to fit in my ears but was pleasantly surprised. Sound quality is very good. Noise cancelling is amazing. Battery life seems low but I guess that is because of the noise cancelling.

Really like how the silicone tips pop off for cleaning and pop right back on. Not happy to find out that replacements tips are only available via the Genius Bar for $3.95US each though.

Bought a pair today and don’t regret it.
AppleCare is worth the cost IMO.

My (original version) AirPods were barely lasting through an hour-long run; forget talking on a call more than a few minutes. So, I have nothing but good things to say about the Pros’ battery life. But it’s all relative! Since I got the Pros I’ve gone through two charges. They arrived at 78%, I ran them down listening to music and podcasts. Recharged and was mostly watching TV on iPad the second round. They seem to charge faster than my old model.

The noise canceling is just right for me and feels more natural than my over-ear Beats Studio (from two summers ago). The AirPod Pros are just so light and really do feel like they are “barely there.” I like the shorter sticks from a looks and weight perspective.

The mic quality, for calls, is one of the most important things to me but rarely gets much coverage in headphone reviews. I used Voice Memos and recorded clips from iPhone 11 Pro’s built-in mic, Air Pods Pro, and wired Beats Studio. The iPhone’s mic sounded the best (richest) but has background noise even in a quiet room. The AirPods sounded better than the Beats inline mic which was surprising. The AirPods had zero background noise so I’d guess there is a lot of processing to take that out going on in the H1 chip. The recorded volume was also louder than the inline Beats which I didn’t expect.

Definitely like the fake “buttons” on the stems! I’d pretty much given up on the onboard controls (taps) on my gen 1 AirPods.

Also surprised how much I’m liking Hey Siri (wasn’t possible on 1st gen), faster pairing and Message Announce. Not waiting on the Siri beep makes Siri seem much faster and more useful. Wish the beep was removed or could be turned off an all devices.

Agree that AppleCare seems like $30 USD well spent though I still need to do it. I’d like color options but I guess it is one less decision to make.

3 Likes

For me the noise cancelation is just not good enough. I can listen to phone call of another worker four desks away. I think it’s way weaker than having normal in-ear headphones in, that have no noise canceling but sit very tight.
This is not to ding Apple. I bet it’s a very difficult problem, given the lobes are all out and they want a natural sound. This is just not the solution yet for me.

1 Like

And… they were just what I hoped they’d be. Was able to listen to podcasts and music with a comfortable volume level, could hear the announcements etc, and fit comfortably for the whole 3.5 hour ride.

Battery life seemed to be exactly as advertised.

2 Likes

I just enjoyed listening to a podcast episode during a lunch walk near a busy street, a loud construction site and a playground with screaming kids. With my previous AirPods, I had to turn up the volume and would still have difficulties to understand each sentence spoken in the Podcast. With the AirPods Pro it is a totally different, enjoyable experience. I still hear the outside noise, but much more damped and much less annoying.

My Bose have a better (more aggressive) noise cancellation, in my opinion, but are more dangerous when walking outside because I would not notice approaching cars at all. For long plane or train trips I will continuing using my Bose, but for walks and short commutes will definitely prefer the AirPods Pro.

2 Likes