New backpack hunting

I highly recommend Everki. I’ve been a very satisfied user for 10+ years now. The things I like the most are -

1. Very well padded. I’ve had the bag fall down from desk height and everything in it was safe.
  2. It Stands! All other backpack fall .
  3. It fits nicely under economy airplane seats.
  4. Has ample pockets - I carry a laptop, iPad, kindle , a water bottle and charger. That leaves an inside pockets for change of clothes.
  5. Excellent customer service, lifetime warranty. After using a bag for several years, one of the clasp broke and they replaced the entire bag for free.
  6. A very useful magnetic front pocket for storing tickets, passports . It has a sleeve using which you can place the bag on a carry on. This makes it extremely convenient to reach for documents while traveling.

Regards,
Hiren

Evergoods is the way to go. I love their bags. The Civic line is well thought-out and definitely worth considering.

3 Likes

So, after spending a little time researching DOZENS of laptop backpacks, I was actually about to pull the trigger on the Nomatic Navigator Lite (mentioned above by the OP), but then I saw this article in The NY Times Wirecutter column from last month: The 6 Best Laptop Backpacks of 2023. Thir number one choice was the Troubadour Apex 3.0 Backpack. So, since I clearly could not make any headway without seeing and feeling these backpacks in person, I ordered the Nomatic Navigator, the Nomatic Navigator Lite, the Troubadour Apex 3.0, and the Troubadour Apex 3.0 Compact.

In other words, I ordered FOUR backpacks: the Navigator and the Apex, both the regular and smaller versions of each of them. In the end, I will keep the one that works best for me and return the other three. The great thing about Amazon is they make it fast and easy to receive as well as return your merchandise , as long as it’s within 30 days. I can’t wait to see if these online reviews give the whole story on these backpacks. And even if they do, no one has really compared the full-sized backpack to its “mini-me,” and I intend to get a much clearer picture of this. I’ll be happy to report back in a few days if there’s interest.

3 Likes

I find that trying out is the best approach. You’ll find little or big things that will either annoy or bring you joy. I’m looking forward to hearing your review of the backpacks.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m looking forward to trying them out and reviewing them!

1 Like

So, I have received all four backpacks I mentioned from Amazon, and I’ve had a few days to move my “stuff” from one backpack to the next, so could compare weight, comfort, and appearance with me wearing it (and sitting on the floor by itself), etc. Interestingly, the most important factor for me as I’m moving away from the big, bulky SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Bag, was to get a smaller, lighter, and more compact bag. So I really thought the two compact versions of these backpacks would be the winners and I’d be choosing between them.

Instead, I quickly realized that the compact versions were a few inches smaller in every dimension, but did not weigh noticeably differently, and they provided less room, fewer pockets, less rigidity, and in general were worse in every way. The full-sized Nomatic Navigator and the Troubadour Apex 3.0 Backpack were superior all the way around compared to their respective “mini-me” versions, in my opinion. So, now I’m down to two. This is where it gets challenging.

I REALLY like both full-sized backpacks A LOT! They are still very compact, compared to what I’m used to, they each weigh only a little over 2 pounds each (completely empty), and they have very slim profiles when viewed from the side, yet there’s a lot more space inside of both of them once you open them up.

The Navigator has the advantage of maybe a few better-placed and sized pockets. I particularly like the one on top (good for a pair of glasses, or my little things like my Beats Fit Pro, nasal spray, pill bottles, etc.) and the sort of secret one on the front of it (where there’s a nylon strap with a snap to easily attach my key ring and Apple AirTag), AND I can put my wallet, passport, and a few small, flat items that I want easy access to. I also love how the water bottle holder can be zipped inside of the bag and hidden when not in use, so it looks like there are no water bottle holders, unless I want to use it.

In contrast, the Apex has TWO water bottle pockets (one on each side) which feel much more durable and reliable than the one on the Navigator. Also, I often like to carry two bottles of water with me instead of one. While it does not have that open pocket on top for storing my small things, it does have a flat pocket on the top of the front side of the backpack, and this still fits everything just as easily. I do like the position a little better on the Navigator, but it almost doesn’t matter. The back section, where the laptop and iPad are stored, is pretty similar on each of them, and they both offer dedicated pockets for each device, keeping them separated from one another. Also, if I put the backpack in front of my nightstand next to my bed, the material is rigid enough so each bag sits perfectly upright and the material does not flop over. This makes it much easier for me to access the USB-C ports on my devices for charging than it was with my SwissGear bag.

In the end, it’s kind of a toss-up between the Navigator and the Apex. Functionally, they’re both so much better than what I used to have, that I’d be thrilled with either one. It comes down to aesthetics and price. I think the Apex looks a little nicer and higher-end than the Navigator, but that’s subjective. Meanwhile, the prices are almost identical: $245 for the Apex, $249.99 for the Navigator.

I haven’t made the final judgment yet, but I’m leaning toward sticking with the Apex for now. Does anyone else have any opinions about this? Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these bags?

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing! The Apex has a zippered pocket in the lower part of the left shoulder strap which can fit your phone. I have an iPhone 15 Pro, and it seems to JUST FIT. I’m not sure if the 15 Pro Max would fit (probably not), so that could be a deal breaker for some if you want to use the shoulder strap for the iPhone. Meanwhile, I’m not really sure how I feel about it. I’m trying to think of particular situations where I’d want to put the iPhone in that strap instead of my left front pants pocket (where I usually put it). It’s cool, but it’s kind of weird, right? Since I’m not at all used to it, I could see myself freaking out searching for my phone before I remember that I keep it in my backpack’s shoulder strap now. Anyway, I just wanted to throw in that monkey wrench. I wonder if there’s anything else that pocket could be useful for?

1 Like

Quick cash so you don’t have to expose your wallet, or tickets for trains/busses?

1 Like

Exactly! Also, I really don’t think it would be easy to steal from it, since the strap sits along the left side of your chest. The thief would have to open the zipper and grab it while standing in front of you. Not very likely unless they are holding a gun to your head. But again, I’d have to remember where I put my money, at least until I get used to it!

Thought I’d recap where I ended up on this. Thanks so much for all the feedback and insight, seems like I struck a chord :wink:

I should have mentioned originally, my budget was around $200 tops, preferably under $100. As I kept doing my research, I could sense my boundaries getting away from me, so I just settled on a used backpack for $80. It’s the Lander Commuter. It is in great condition, and I’m pretty happy so far. I realized I really wanted something with a dedicated laptop compartment, not just a sleeve inside the main compartment, and this is a very protected laptop compartment. I’m getting used to having just one primary storage area instead of the smaller, shorter one my Lowepro had before, but it does simplify things a lot.
Main thing I’m happy with is it is not as deep as my old backpack. I don’t feel like a tortoise anymore. I have yet to take it on a plane, but I feel like it will fit inder the seat in front of me a lot easier. And if I have to put it in the overhead bin, I feel pretty safe about the laptop compartment.

Thanks again everyone! I do foresee myself getting a newer or secondary backpack for longer trips, but this is working great for a daily use bag.

1 Like

Late to the game here, but for anyone reading this, like me, after the fact, I’d take a look at Chrome Industries bags. I’ve been carrying their Barrage Cargo for years and I absolutely love it. Waterproof. Laptop area (not well-padded, but that’s what a sleeve is for). Roll-top. Side straps to cinch everything down tight. Very comfortable straps and a chest strap to keep it planted while cycling. Outer cargo net for carrying extra stuff. Two side pouches. They also make a larger version and a much larger version.

1 Like

Just before the pandemic started I bought: The Nomatic Travel Pack – NOMATIC - so I’ve owned and used it for ~3 3/4 yrs.

It’s still in great shape and it will swallow everything I throw at it. I can easily load it up with 30+ lbs of stuff. (Dead tree books and tablet’s weigh something).

It’s only con - the carrying system is only ok. I use it for work travel and it’s fine, since I never wear it for more than 1hr at a time. I wouldn’t want to hike with it.

1 Like

Just to add to the miriad choices here for any other seekers of backpack nirvana, instead of the larger First Tactical I was looking at, I went for a 5.11 All Hazards Prime Backpack and can report that it is very comfortable, robustly constructed, and has plenty of space for everything I need to carry, as mentioned in my earlier post. I’ve also been able to carry my MBP inside its sleeve.

2 Likes

I’ve just gotta note that you all have greater budgets than I do for backpacks. :joy: I’m usually looking at sub £50

1 Like

4yrs ago, when most of my income was earned traveling to deliver workshops this was an easy business expense to justify. No I’m just glad I did.

1 Like