New iPad Pros announced

I’m in the same boat. Likely will sell my current keyboard folio to bankroll this new one. Still wish they had added a function key row, but maybe the new cursor support will alleviate some of the issue to access control center more easily without lifting my hands off the keyboard.

That first ad is great. A neat callback to the 1984 commercial, too (particularly that grungy opening scene).

Wow… a $350USD keyboard.

Just what the world needs.

I mean, Apple’s iPad keyboard have always been severely overpriced, but this is … wow.

Don’t they sell an entire iPad for that much?

I was thrilled to see my iPad Pro was compatible, but that price is absurd.

Then again, once my MacBook Air is out of AppleCare and the butterfly keyboard dies again, getting this for my iPad will probably be cheaper than replacing the keyboard, so maybe I’ll have one someday.

I was thinking along those lines myself. For that money, you could buy an Apple Watch.

here’s hoping for a Logitech take on the apple idea…

That keyboard price sure is something, but it’s only $120 more than the new Brydge Pro+, with trackpad, which says something about construction costs in addition to Apple’s normal pricing of peripherals above 3rd-party options. So I wasn’t surprised. I’m probably getting the new 11" Pro, and given that I’ve been pining for a trackpad and this uses the same keyswitches as in the new laptops, I’m probably springing an extra $300 for this thing too.

But Ben Lovejoy at 9to5Mac makes a persuasive case I don’t disagree that when it comes to recommending new hardware to someone else the new MacBook Air could be a better (and cheaper overall) option than an iPad Pro + keyboard. His summary:

Continuing the discussion from New iPad Pros announced:

I don’t quite see how the keyboard is backwards compatible. Wouldn’t the cut-out for the camera be specifically designed for the square camera module of the new ipad pros? I mean, I guess it could technically work, albeit showing some skin for last years model.

I am very psyched about this trackpad - video example:

Just priced out the 256Gb 11" iPad Pro with Pencil_2 (no keyboard available yet): with tax in NYC it’s $1120. Hmm.

2 Likes

Cursor seems to be great. I wonder when it will be available to the general public. iOS 13.4?

It appears the previous Pro versions will just have a larger “unused” camera opening.

2 Likes

Yes, the cursor support is in 13.4. Supposed to come out on March 24.

1 Like

I would love to hear from people planning on upgrading from current iPad Pros to the new edition. What’s drawing you?

Does anyone know if the new iPad Pro will support Google Fi data only sims? I can’t figure it out via the web site.

My current iPad is an iPad Air late 2013-early 2014 with 16GB. My main reason for upgrading is the 1TB capacity, pencil support and ability to run iOS 13. I’m stuck on 12.4.5. Extra benefits include the better cameras possibility of adding a keyboard eventually.

My one question right now is about using Google Fi SIMS in it. If the answer is yes I’ll have one on order by the end of today. If not I’ll have to think a bit but will still probably get one.

2 Likes

That free floating screen has me! Looks like a baby iMac!
The cursor stuff looks amazing, so happy to use that on my 10.5 Pro as long as I don’t have one of these beauties!

Does the new cursor support include things like cursor positioning for text editing and selecting text?

Google Fi on other devices

Answering my own question. It appears that it will work. Docs not updated for this new model but it meets the requirements of LTE bands 1 and 4 and a Nano SIM

PS decided to verify direct with Google support and the answer is yes it is supported on Google Fi

2 Likes

Yes, it supports text selection and cursor position.

2 Likes

Craig Federighi describes how the new iPad Pro cursor feature works.

5 Likes

I think I’d prefer the Apple version, even with the $200 price difference.

1 Like