New job -- migrating to Windows

DEVONthink has a web interface. I haven’t had the need to try it, but it might bridge that gap for you. I expect you would need to have a Mac on and running DT somewhere in the world for that to work.

Can you use a remote app? Or would that be cheating? I use Jump Desktop for the opposite — accessing my work-provided PC from my personally purchased, but used at work day in/day out Mac in order to access the few programs I can’t run on the Mac (primarily our accounting software).

1 Like

Hiya digeratti. Most all of our laptops at work are locked down as well, but as I’m the new head of IT, I was able to get local admin access without too much fuss. I was able to use the new local admin access to turn on Windows Search Services, which is certainly a start. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Thanks SteveH! I do have an iMac at home that’s always on and has DT installed. I’ve used Jump Desktop for several years from my iPad to get back to my home iMac when needed – I’d completely forgotten they had a Windows version. That right there might be the solution to my dilemma – thank you!!!

Hi Dan,

Always great to have a promotion. I also work at a place that have Windows as the server and desktop environment. For me I’ve been using a iMac and MacBook Air together with Vmware Fusion (similar to Parallels) to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine. This way I can connect to the corporate network and run the various Windows apps using my Windows VM, whilst using my Mac for all email, calendar tasks, etc.
A couple of cross-platforms that I have found handy to use for both Windows and macOS are:

• Wunderlist for task management (now owned by Microsoft)
  • Microsoft OneNote (for keeping track of notes and collaborating with others)
1 Like

Thanks bigtrev. Just got Parallels latest version installed, and OneNote is a staple here at work so getting back into it again. Appreciate the help!

Windows from Mac
I have had to use Windows and wanted to use Macs for many years. One of the hardest things is finding Windows app counterparts to the tools I love on the Mac. Here, in no particular order, are some of the ones I’ve found:

• 1Password for Mac -> 1Password for Windows (so great that they built it for both)
  • TextExpander for Mac -> Breevy for Windows (you can import your TE snippets into Breevy)
  • Notes for Mac -> OneNote for Windows (a very good app that you can actually use cross-platform)
  • Omnifocus for Mac -> Tasks in Outlook for Windows (there are some fairly good hacks for moving one to the other)
  • Fantastical for Mac -> No good alternative I’ve been able to find. I just use my iPhone or iPad to create events that show up in Outlook
  • Ulysses for Mac -> Ulysses for Windows
  • Hazel for Mac -> No great ones; FileJuggler is the closest I’ve found
  • Keyboard Maestro -> Again, no great ones that I’ve found; try AutoHotKey if you are desperate.
    I find that I am often best served by keeping my iPad Pro next to me on my desktop so I can quickly use that for some jobs.
    Anyway, good luck in your new role!
1 Like

Thanks so much Greg – tremendously helpful!!!

Using Bootcamp on a Mac you can install Windows next to your Osx. It will give you one of the fastest Windows machines you can wish.
When you want to be able to switch fast between an Apple application and a Windows application, you could install and use Paralleles but that will cost.

Thanks! Already have Parallels and Windows installed, so I’m good to go!