New MacBook Pro Advice

Hello - I am a teacher… I love having the latest and greatest, but clearly realize I dont always need it :slight_smile: But I do create videos, use logic and spend a lot of time creating and using photos etc… I prefer the 1TB SSD and can certainly live with 16 GB RAM. I use the 4K LG Monitor that Apple sells when I am home.

Here’s the comparison:

2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz; 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory; Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory

vs

The standard 15 inch Config

2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz; 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory; Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

I guess my big question is will I benefit at all from that power difference? Specifically the graphics card - I am set on the 15" as that works best for me.

Thanks All!

Food for thought…

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/22/benchmarked-amds-radeon-vega-20-gives-macbook-pro-big-graphics-boost

Awesome find… Thanks. That article is good reading.

In my haste I didn’t notice the date … that’s for last years model… but I’m sure the point is still valid. It seems the processor makes a huge difference. Any other comments ? I’m a pretty good Power User, I just don’t have a great working knowledge of the inner workings of computers to see if it’s worth it for me to make the jump from the base 512 model to the one I listed.

Thanks for any input.

I think I read, in reddit, that the Vega graphicss run cooler than the Pros, but, well, reddit.

What sorta teacher are you?

I teach science… Mostly Human Biomedical and Arboriculture. The bulk of my work is High School, but I also teach at CC, Summer Enrichment and Freelance as needed. Do you Teach?

2 Likes

Yes, I do teach, I’m Special Education for middle school self-contained. Far different then what you do for teaching. I don’t mind using my Windows 10 laptop I have through work but little stuff such as screenshots, for instance, is far easier on my Mac. I juggle back and forth honestly and heavily use Microsoft OneDrive to keep stuff in sync.

If you use any virtual machines on a regular basis, I’d go for the 32GB RAM.