New Microsoft Edge

I believe tracking is available from Microsoft on some 365 business tiers: I know they offer folder tracking and RSVP tracking, but I’m not sure what they offer wrt email. (Even if they don’t it’s a popular 3rd-party add-on option for Outlook, Gmail… everything really.)

Their Outlook mail app does offer mail recipients a tracker-blocking option in Android, perhaps iOS too.

Also, I made a mistake about that plugin - it doesn’t block images, it allows you to optionally make images included in emails appear as attachments and not be displayed inline.

they do advertise them a lot, for sure :smiley:

(discourse don’t want me to reply to you anymore… we’re being selfish talking to each other :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue:)

Someone clearly hates Microsoft Edge with a passion… :sweat_smile:

Regardless, I’d argue that Google Chrome is the worst offender when it comes to privacy.

Justin, you ignored the thread’s discussion of Edge’s significant privacy issues, ignored the analysis done showing Microsoft hard-coded IDs into the browser so they could track users, then prosyletized, “awesome! By far the best Chromium browser out there”. And when that discussion continued your response was to post something from a Windows fanboy subreddit and refer to me as someone who “hates Microsoft Edge with a passion”? smh

If privacy isn’t important to you feel free to say so. But I think for most of us it is.

1 Like

@bowline I don’t love all the tracking either. That’s why I don’t use Gmail and avoid Chrome.

I had noticed the overuse of Bing, which is annoying.

Is there an alternative Chromium-based browser we can trust? I thought Brave was it but seems not.

So it’s either Firefox or back to Safari? At least I know that Apple’s USP is about privacy. But the browser itself is falling behind.

There are other privacy-oriented Chromium browsers besides Brave, but their updates tend to be sparse and they have much smaller dev teams working on them. I’ve used two. One is the Epic Privacy Browser, which like Brave ripped out Google’s tracking code, and by default it deletes cookies, history, and cache on quit. It has a built-in optional proxy service that can be enabled at the user’s discretion, and “Ad and user activity trackers are blocked by default on Epic browser which prevents any user tracking to occur. The browser also blocks cryptocurrency miners from running on the users system. The browsers’ fingerprinting protection blocks access to image canvas, font canvas, and audio context data. WebRTC IP Address Leaking is blocked by default as well.” The other I’ve used is SRWare Iron, which is even less well-known, and appears to be sporadically updated.

For me it’s still Brave. Firefox is a solid alternative, and it uses many extensions for Chromium like Decentraleyes (which I discussed here). And Firefox has an equivalent to the Gmail tracker-blocker I use too.

But Firefox it has a relative dearth of extensions that I like to use, or find useful, like one that turns any web page into an ePub, or extensions that improve the UI and services or Flickr, Facebook, Reddit and Gmail, or revamp the YouTube interface and block ads, or tells me the fonts on a web page I’m visiting, etc etc. I have around 30 extensions in Brave right now (though I only turn some on, like that epub extension, when needed). Brave also includes a Tor browser (not something I use) and now automatically pops up a button to find an archive.org version of a webpage if the page is missing (aka 404 error).

A year ago with Safari 12.1 Apple disabled the ability to disable hyperlink auditing, AKA click-tracking. Although Apple implements protection against cross-site tracking, both Safari and Chrome also disabled the ability to stop click-tracking; Brave and Firefox still have the protection on by default. (And Edge? No idea.)

1 Like

Actually, I didn’t ignore the discussion.

Take your time to read the Reddit post. If that subreddit is a Windows fanboy subreddit, then this forum is a Mac fanboy subreddit.

Don’t judge a book by its cover. :wink:

It has had an ad blocker for almost two years now.

Maybe, but it is barely noticeable in real-world usage.

It was an opinion, not a fact.

By all means, use Brave if you want to. It’s not a bad browser.

An unsupported one, which ignores significant privacy issues.

When I downloaded Edge on the Mac - which is the CHROMIUM browser, as opposed to the Webkit-variant on iOS - it did not let you change the search engine. And the Mac version does NOT come with ad blocking.

And you pooh-pooh Brave’s faster speeds despite video evidence (here’s another one!).

I did. It doesn’t acknowledge Edge’s privacy issues, and it compares it to Chrome for other features. Two browsers that track users, with poor user privacy protection compared, yet you seem to think that somehow validates your unsupported assertion that it’s the “best Chromium browser” - some anonymous user’s comparison that doesn’t include any other Chromium browsers. Pretty weak tea.

I have been a Windows user for 25 years. In my day job I am on Windows. I have to administer 10 servers that run windows. I never got the hostility against Microsoft, I appreciate this community as an open and friendly one. :blush:

At home I have been a Mac user for 14 years now. I prefer my Mac and I am happy with the Mac.

I do not see Microsoft gaining sainthood anytime soon, but I do not regard them as the antichrist, either.

In March, there were those reports about privacy issues with the new Edge browser. Those are the reports you keep referring to. I agree that those reports were valid. But even back then, there were options to use Edge in a sensible way.

Microsoft reacted:

I am using Edge on my work PC. I am using it with DuckDuckGo as the search engine. It is no issue at all to change the search engine.

I do not trust Google a bit. But I can understand that everybody has a different opinion. And I think everybody should have the right to express his or her own opinion. I tried Brave, I still use Brave. But as I have mentioned above, Brave has issues, too. I do not think that there is a single mainstream browser without issues. I think, everybody has to decide what she or he wants and if your decision is that you are fine with what a browser provides you with then it should be fine to use it. There is no right or wrong when it comes down to using a particular browser. :blush:

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that you’re not forced to use Bing on your PC. Not interested in checking out Edge again so I don’t know if that it also the case on Macs.

But there’s no ‘sensible’ way to use Edge with privacy when Edge sends to Microsoft a unique identifier based on the user’s hardware config and there is no way to block it.

Really? I think PrivacyTools has a good summary here, with “Don’t use Windows 10 - It’s a privacy nightmare

There are configuration options out there.

If being configured correctly, even Windows 10 and Edge are usable and I am fine with them. :blush:

To each its own. :wink:

If you know of any configurations that block Microsoft’s baked-in hardware-based ID tokens I’ve really love to hear about it, and let others know. Otherwise we’re talking about a ‘usable’ OS and browser that identifies and tracks you relentlessly, which more knowledgeable users, like those who congregate on forums like these, tend to avoid.

Microsoft uses this identifier. Correct.

Microsoft does not sell most of the PCs that are out there. With this identifier, Microsoft can connect a hardware device to a user. The reasons why they are doing this are being mentioned in the white paper. You have the opportunity to delete any data that comes with this identification. It is cumbersome but it can be done. You can read about that in the white paper. You can believe this or if you prefer you may not believe this. Apart from the options being explained in the white paper, there are firewalls and other third party tools to configure your devices to behave how you want them to behave.

Your Mac, your iPhone, your iPad and even your AirPods come with serial numbers.

When you first start your device, you connect them with your iCloud account. From that moment on, Apple knows where you are and where your devices are at. And they know a lot more than that. Some data is encrypted, other data is not encrypted. You very well may be aware of the desires law enforcement agencies have had in the past to get access to this data. And we all are aware of the fact that there is a lot of data Apple has available that is very personal and private. Some of the data is end to end encrypted, other data is not end to end encrypted.

The difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple‘s privacy policies are better than Microsoft ones. I agree. I use a Mac. I do trust Apple more than I do trust Microsoft.

But still, if you really want to be 100% safe, if privacy is an issue to a degree that you absolutely want to be sure that your data will always be your data, then you have to say goodbye to anything in the cloud and you have to use Linux devices, lock them down and have fun administering those things. :blush:

I do not want to keep going on and on about this topic. The only thing I wanted to say is that everybody is entitled to an opinion. There is not one single 100% true opinion about this matter. There are advantages and disadvantages for almost every platform and for every browser.

I am out of here: to each its own. :blush:

Are you referring to the Trinity College report I linked to? What’s the reason for Mac users to be tracked by Microsoft? What explanations do you find compelling or not compelling? What “options” do you refer to, and do they restore privacy from Microsoft hardware-derived identifiers and tracking?

Agreed! But if someone chooses to state an opinion without evidence (eg this is the best Chromium browser) or responds to issues of privacy while sidestepping the question with vague statements (eg ‘There are configuration options out there’ that make the Microsoft product ‘usable’) that person shouldn’t be surprised to meet skepticism.

Regarding the white paper: I linked to the white paper.

Regarding the best chromium browser: I never stated anything like that. :wink:

And believe me, I am not surprised. :blush:

To each its own. :blush:

The Microsoft White Paper doesn’t address why it tracks Mac users, doesn’t say its token can be removed or deleted. As to the examples I gave, I think you understand the part I quoted was you sidestepping questions with vague references.

The Trinity College report found that Edge shares users’ browsing history with Microsoft, along with identifiers that indicate the location or identity of the user. The fact that this data is being stored on Microsoft servers means it’s also subject to be shared with government agencies or third-party commercial partners — and could be disclosed in a data breach. The data being sent to those server servers is anonymized, tied to unique identifiers specific to users’ devices. But extensive research has shown that such data can usually be easily “de-anonymized” by connecting a few known data points about a person.

The report found Microsoft’s Edge browser, and the Russian Yandex browser, to be “more worrisome than the other browsers studied” because both browsers send unique, strong identifiers linked to the device being used, which cannot be changed. Both browsers also send browsing data via the search autocomplete function. And that white paper couldn’t find a way to prevent this data sharing.

So, although you may find this tracking and lack of privacy to be acceptably “usable” thankfully there are alternatives that really are protective of user privacy, are full-featured, well-supported, and fast. Because of this I see no reason to use the Edge browser, especially when its most vocal adherents can’t muster a good explanation why Edge should be chosen over Firefox, Safari or Brave.

There is no correct opinion.

It does let you change the search engine…

How hard could it possibly be to install uBlock Origin?

Both browsers have their benefits in terms of speed. It really depends on how heavy the webpage is and the strength of the internet connection.

Have any news articles popped up about the specific “privacy issues” you’ve mentioned?

I never said that it validated my opinion. You’re getting worked up over a browser.

Besides, you’re just as anonymous as that Reddit user. We all are.

Again, you’re not forced to use Bing in Microsoft Edge (on either the PC version or the Mac version).

Oh, so you don’t just hate Microsoft Edge? Why can’t we throw our bias aside and stop arguing?

Nobody on this forum is more intelligently superior than anyone else. I don’t like having opinions forced down my throat.

I assumed that you had done your research regarding Microsoft Edge, so why would you need evidence?

All in all, I’m confused as to why you’re obsessed with me and my opinions (which are neither correct nor incorrect by the way, as they’re simply just opinions).

So far, you’ve only mentioned privacy and speed. What about the RAM usage of Microsoft Edge? What about HTML5 support? What about other browser benchmarking tests?

There is such a thing as a claim based on facts, and then there is the type of content-free cheerleading you’ve done, combined with a refusal to support your claim or answer questions about it, while engaging in absurd hominems (“clearly hates Microsoft Edge with a passion… you’re obsessed with me and my opinions”).

I think we’ve pretty much given up on your actually supporting your claims at this point. Like it or not people here can decide whether your Edge encomiums have any basis to them or not, and can decide that whether they want to use a browser that tracks you that you cannot stop, remove or hide when there are so many better options (for reasons discussed here and elsewhere on the forum).

Re Brave . . . FWIW: