New Position - New Computer

Hi friends. I recently accepted a new position at a new church (I’m a pastor). My current church owns my MacBook Pro so I will be turning it in. My new position is purchasing a computer for me to do work on. I am wanting to keep it as reasonable price wise for them as possible but also be able to do everything I want to do for them. Would a baseline MacBook Air work for:

Lots of text production
some photo/advertisement creating
Some video production and Zoom type conference calls
A pretty intense Bible research/study software with my 2,000 volume library on it
Podcast recording and editing

Again, trying to not ask for the moon and keep the money reasonable. It’s a small congregation and they aren’t used to buying Macs. If it helps, I personally own the 2018 iPad Pro which can handle some of the heavier tasks, I’ll just have to learn more how to do them on iOS. I have considered a Mac Mini or iMac for the office and just using my iPad for portable work. I just wanted to get some other opinions on what I should request. Thanks for any advice you can give. You people are very helpful.

The base model has a i3 processor and 256GB SSD. I would consider the i3 insufficient for any kind of video production. As to the SSD, will your library fit into 256GB with sufficient room to spare? I’m guessing not.

1 Like

You’ll make this easier on all of us, including yourself, if you name a budget range.

I’m on a 256 now and you’re correct, it’s tight.

That’s the thing. I don’t know exactly. I guess I was just hoping to come in under 1300 if possible while still being able to do everything I need to do.

The next step up on the MacBook Air is a i5 with 512GB for $1299. At 1.1 GHz it’s not gonna be a screamer but it fits your needs and price range.

2 Likes

As you may know the 2018 iPad Pro is almost as fast and have virtually all the features of the 2020 models, so it’s a powerful machine you should be able to rely on.

As for a Mac, given the types of things you want to do could probably be done by any Mac today. If you’re looking for a desktop machine they’re all capable, though video and audio production does best with lots of RAM (and the 27" iMac, which appears beyond your budget, has the advantage of user-installable RAM, which can save you a couple of hundred dollars (while giving you that nice big Retina screen).

If you’re willing to live with a slower spinning internal hard drive (1Tb) the base 21.5" i5 iMac with 16Gb RAM is $1300. That’s the same price as the i5 mini with 16Gb RAM, although the mini lacks a monitor but gives you 512Gb SSD. So at that price range for a desktop machine, if you already have a decent monitor look at the mini, otherwise look more closely at the iMac.

3 Likes

I was just looking at that option and I agree, provided portability isn’t important.

Unfortunately nothing refurbished in this category is available right now, but there’s nothing appropriate in the MacBook Air refurbished line either.

1 Like

How complex is your video editing? Have you considered using your iPad Pro and LumaFusion? That could reduce the need for a more powerful Mac. Look at what can be done with the $329 10.2 iPad.

3 Likes

Well, I ended up ordering an Apple refurbished 2020 MacBook Air with 16 GB and the i5. It was 1099. Pretty happy with the purchase. Space grey, of course…

4 Likes