Notenik is a winner for me!

I use Notebooks.app in tandem with Obsidian and Devonthink primarily so that can access my notes and any collateral documents on iOS. Since I like the UI, I also keep it open on my Mac as a scratch pad and a quick portal into my notes.

That being said, there are some things that Notebooks.app can’t do that, for me at least, keep it from being a wholesale replacement for Obsidian and Devonthink. And it’s not just plug-ins—there are things Obsidian does straight out of the box that Notebooks.app can’t: the creation of a daily note, e.g., or templates.

Notebooks.app uses Discount as its default markdown converter with the option to use MultiMarkdown either as needed or as the default. This means that some notes written in Obsidian won’t render as expected in Notebooks.app and vice-versa. For example, the two apps use completely different syntax for embedding one markdown note into another (aka transclusion). If you want to make sure that you can read the embedded note in both apps, you have to write the same reference twice, once using Multimarkdown’s {{myfile.md}} syntax and once using Obsidian’s ![[myfile.md]] syntax. It works, but it sure isn’t pretty.

1 Like

one thing I need to call out. If you are going to use Notebook with iCloud and share across different devices and other users. Be very patient with iCloud. People know that I am not a fan of iCloud drive. I create files and folders using Notebook app and they would not show up on my other Mac for hours.

This is extremely frustrated, not the fault of the app but iCloud itself. In comparison, Upnote app sync is amazing. The file would appear on the other device almost instantaneously

1 Like

I’m aware that Notenik has functionality equivalent to templates. (My template comment was about Notebooks.app.) I did give Notenik a test drive a while back, and while I liked it, it didn’t quite suit my needs as an adjunct to or replacement for Obsidian.

I currently use Dropbox for my Obsidian + Notebooks file repository. I keep toying with the idea of using iCloud Drive instead, but my household has a ton space available on Dropbox, so I’ve never pulled the trigger on a switch.

Ah pardon me I misread you.

No worries! Too many apps with overlapping names …