Notion for Research?

I’ve spent some time with KeepIt. While I like the organizational structure, I really want to use Markdown and have the ability to put images inline. I think KeepIt is too strict about the type of note you create. You can get fancy Markdown stuff, but you can’t have images in the same note.

For now, I think Bear wins for this and it’s very good web scraper tool on the Mac.

1 Like

@ismh Do you kind expanding on why you like markdown outside of posts you are creating for 512 Pixels (which I love btw!!)? I see so many people swear by markdown for all kinds of writing not intending to go to the web. Unless I missed your point for your data/info collection service.

I like Markdown for its ease of use in formatting text. I can do all sorts of formatting without ever leaving the keyboard, and find myself even handwriting things in Markdown like # for headers in a notebook.

4 Likes

I will be interested in reading more about your experience with Bear as time goes on. I have mixed feelings about the tags organization – over the years I’ve accreted dozens of tags and my organization evolved into a bit of a mess. I suppose I need to focus on culling the tags and consolidating / creating tag groups.

Katie

1 Like

I’m hoping my limited use case will help: Notion for Research?

2 Likes

Discussion here and elsewhere on MPU has caused me to abort my Bear trial before it truly began, and fire up DevonThink.

Yes, it’s all your fault. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did the same thing about a year ago. Bear is beautiful, but when you already have DEVONThink, I don’t see much of the point unless you REALLY love Bears aesthetic. DT clipper is better. DT is more powerful, etc, etc. But if all you are doing is collecting links, DT is a bit much.

I’m still committed to Evernote for the time being but have more and more been using Notion for little things here and there, figuring out how to use it and building use cases. I think it’s pretty good. A couple things I still need to make it take the place of EN:

• Safari Webclipper
  • PDF OCR
  • A way to email notes into the inbox
  • Handwriting recognition a plus but not a must

I’ve used DevonThink sporadically off and on over the years. I’ll go all in on it for a few months, and then get nervous about data access and back off.

Two things seem to have improved significantly since my last try at DT: Sync, and the web clipper.

I still think the clipper on Evernote is better (which I use if the DT clip doesn’t look great or capture exactly what I want), but DT’s has improved over the last couple years. The DTTG clipper has gotten better too.

What do you by access? On different devices? Cross-platform?

I get nervous that my data might get corrupted in that big ol’ DevonThink database.

I’m seeing problems with the DT clipper again. Simplified clips aren’t coming out from my employer’s website, which is by far the site I clip most often.

Do you have a simple, automated way of getting clips from Evernote to DevonThink?

a little late, but OMG I’m losing my mind over Roam. I’d recommend everyone check out roam research, using the link in this Zettelkasten article.
I’m looking to use Roam to replace at least OmniOutliner, Agenda, and about half of my DevonThink use cases. (I’ll still use DevonThink to store documents like PDFs in). not sure yet if Roam can replace DayOne for me too.

1 Like

DayOne is quite nice for automation and its feature set. I thought the same thing too. So I have decided to keep my DayOne personal and family and Roam for my professional intellectual journal.

I don’t do anything special. I just use DEVONthink’s import feature from Evernote once I get to that point.

1 Like

FYI there’s a new self-hosted Notion-like app in beta that optionally exchanges data with co-workers via peer-to-peer. Looks intriguing.

1 Like

Looks interesting.

It’s a Typeform product so I would definitely monitor what AnyType does to make sure it isn’t snooping and exfiltrating user info in the background, though.

Chintzy launch page. No info, but… Tell us something about your self (off 2nd page, no less).

No thanks.

Typeform had a real bad breach a few years ago. Caused me trouble as I had been using it for registering students for events and a variety of similar uses.

Of course, maybe they learned their lesson then.

Edit: The launch page describes some great principles for data protection, though.

Alpha rather than beta. One demo video and no documentation. It has promise and I signed up to test, but there’s no data at all from anyone who’s used it.

Francesco D’Alessio said he will have an intro of the product within a couple of days on his Keep Productive YouTube channel.