Now that Drobo is gone - good alternative to Thunderbolt hub and external drives?

I am using for a Plex Serever two external hdd connected via a (at the moment) USB 3 hub and also a 2TB SSD also connected via thius hub. I now bought a M2 Mac mini (smallest model) for moving these to a designated server, and am thinking again:

Should I invest in a Thunderbolt hub (e.g. OWC Thunderbolt 4 Hub) or rather a Drobo? But tha, I realised: Drobo is goneā€¦ā€¦.

Are there any alternatives to the Drobo as a computer attached storage? Or am I better off at the moment with a Hub (for the hdd the USB 3 hub sholuld be sufficient) nad external drives? I am not planning to use (at the moment at least) any RAID.

Any suggestions?

Years ago I stopped using my Drobo for lots of reasons which were the basis of my satisfaction with the device. I switched to a Synology device and have been more than satisfied for many years. Much better software.

But Synology is a NAS - I want to use it as a Computer (Direct) attaced Storage to the Mac mini. By doing that, I can use Backblaze to backup everything.

I think a Drobo would have been an overkill anyway, but are there any dumb Thunderbolt housings for hdd + sdd? OK - I saw the OWC Thunderbays - but hey - it is more expensive than the HDDs and the SSDs.

My computing needs are simple. I have an M1 MBA and an iPad Pro is my primary device. I use a CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub with 2 Samsung T7 drives connected to my Mac. Most of my data also resides on Google Drive and everything is backed up to Backblaze B2. When needed I can connect my iPP to the dock and have access to all my local data.

1 Like

Thunderbolt RAID ā€œhousingsā€ are expensive because they are more than just ā€œhousingsā€. Depending on what you what put inside of these ā€œhousingsā€ you basically do achieve SSD speeds and you have a huge storage capacity. Thunderbolt RAIDs are for a niche market that needs transfer speed faster than via Ethernet and a huge storage capacity at the same time. And this comes at a price.

If you do not need something that fast, you can have a look at USB 3.1 Gen2 RAID ā€œhousingsā€. Same cable, different speed. Still fast enough. But those do not make sense as far as I am concerned given the speed Ethernet is capable of these days and apparently there are not many out there.

If you need ā€œonlyā€ need Ethernet speed (1 GbE, 2.5 GbE or even 10 GbE) and a huge storage capacity, a NAS is the better alternative: many drives combined create much noise. My NAS is in a different room where I cannot hear it. I am sensitive when it comes down to noise (this is why I have returned my Mac Studio two years ago). Others donā€™t care that much.

If you do not need a huge storage capacity, external SSDs are the best option. I have three external SSDs connected to my Mac Mini locally for blazing fast local storage and a NAS connected via Ethernet (1 GbE). A Thunderbolt Hub combined with external SSDs (as @WayneG as mentioned) is also a nice alternative.

3 Likes

Thanks @Chriatian. Great answer. I havenā€™t considered the ethernet speed and the speed which goes at the moment to my appleTV (wifi - which works nicely, by the way. No complaints there.).

So you are right - my current setup makes sense.

You saved me quite a bit of money!!!

So my setup will be:

Mac mini has 2TB 2 and 2 USB A ports (max 5Gb/s)

• 2 data hdd via the 2 USB A ports (8TB and 12TB)
  • 1 data SDD (2TB) via the one TB port

So I have one additional TB port free, Nice.

Thanks a lot - I knew I would get a usefull answer here.

1 Like

I seem to be a few hours late to this discussion :grinning: but Iā€™ve been using Mac minis with external drives as servers for Plex and other uses for about 14 years. Rather than repeating myself, here is the link to the thread: https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/updating-my-mac-mini-server-setup/33210 which has photos of the current and previous minis.

3 Likes

I bought an OWC 4-bay USB-C enclosure to use with my Mac Mini server and Iā€™ve been happy with it so far. Just using it as a plain bunch of disks, not RAID.

1 Like

Looks interesting. My plan for now: I am using anexisting USB3 hub and my three external hdds 5.25 in their own individual housing. Over time, I will replace one after another with 8TB SDDs - and as soon as I get the second SSD, I will look into the SSD housing for multiple SSDs - probably OWC.

Thanks again to everybody - many pieces of relvant info.

1 Like