Obsidian Editor - a Hot Mess?

Does this constrain the note to be within that folder? I.e. if you move note files into other folders, does this break the existing links to those notes?

No, it does not.
They are very clever …

3 Likes

No the links are just fine. You will get a notification when you move somehting as to how many links in how many files got changed so youcan actually see that it’s working as advertised.

2 Likes

As others replied, the short answer is “no”.

But you need to make sure Options > Files & Links > Automatically update internal links is set to on

2 Likes

It seems I have much more to learn about Obsidian! As ever owning the tool doesn’t mean I know how to use it :grin:. This has been very helpful, so thank you for your kind comments.

I shall now investigate the app more thoroughly! (Still not giving up orgmode!)

3 Likes

Yes, they are!
Clever, fast, responsive. Most impressive.

2 Likes

Obsidian is certainly not a “Mac-assed Mac app”, to use Gruber’s (and Brent Simmon’s) term. The default keyboard shortcuts are minimal, and the menus are a UX atrocity. Many (most?) of the community-generated themes are painful to look at. And there are many other ways in which it feels foreign, even hostile, to a discerning Mac user.

That said, when you give Obsidian a chance, give its “philosophy of notes” a chance, and really learn how to use it, it’s a transformational tool. Customize the keyboard shortcuts, add new commands with plugins, use the context menu, “relax” about perfect file/folder organization. Learn to use the tool the way the tool is designed to be used, and the things the tool does well will be revealed.

Which, no doubt about it, is a barrier. I bounced off of Obsidian more than once. It’s an investment, one I’m still in the process of making. And it’s not the best tool for every job, or person. It’s OK to say, this isn’t for me.

But if it is for you, or you’ve listened to podcasts, watched videos, etc. and think it might be for you, then stick with it. Let go of the things that Obsidian doesn’t do well, or does differently (and likely will never do the way Mac users expect), and give it a real go.

I’m still learning, but I can see that it’s going to change the way I take notes, and connect my notes and thoughts together. It’s a struggle (I’m old, these are new tricks), but most of the struggle is actually not the tool (Obsidian), it’s learning to take notes differently. Which I can use with other tools besides Obsidian.

4 Likes

One I don’t often see mentioned which is particularly annoying me at the moment is that Obsidian doesn’t seem to use the default macOS spellcheck dictionary; instead, it uses its own. Not only does Obsidian not recognize all the specialized vocabulary I’ve added to the macOS dictionary, but its built-in dictionary also seems much more limited than the default OS one. I’m (slowly) using “Add to dictionary” on everything it thinks is misspelled, but the process is rather tedious and annoying.

5 Likes

Nothing like an honest review to make me glad I’m sitting on the Obsidian sidelines. However I still grab my popcorn and eagerly read whenever Obsidian true believers post. :slightly_smiling_face:

Isn’t this par for the course when you use a cross-platform Electron-based app on a Mac?

1 Like

No I expect an app designed for use in a mac to integrate properly and spell check is one of the most basic of features, especially for a notes app!

Good luck with that. In a very real sense, Obsidian was not designed for the Mac.

1 Like

I’ve got my problems with Obsidian and its support, but “not designed for Mac” is nowhere on that list. If that were my personal criterion, I would have missed out years of productive use with Tinderbox, TheBrain, Obsidian, MarginNote, and many others. This is my old “ugly software” bemusement. It’s a bit of cutoffthenosetospitetheface-ish. Anyway, each to his own, respectfully.

2 Likes

One could argue that it was not designed for anything except Chrome. But I suspect the developers want mac users to also adopt it and the fact that they very quickly released an iOS app would probably bear that out. Creating apps for users on OS’s that don’t respect integration into that OS is bound cause at least a modicum of expressed annoyance from those users.

I think it’s a bit of an overexaggeration to say that Obsidian is “hostile” to Mac users. But I don’t think I’ll add too much more to this thread as I find my opinion of “good design doesn’t necessarily have to be Mac design” is often regarded as hostile to proponents of Mac design anyway.

3 Likes

On the other hand, you can use Obsidian on macOS, Windows, and Linux and it’s the same.

2 Likes

Would that the same could be said of, oh I don’t know, Excel. I only regret moving from Windows to macOS when I fire up Excel and rediscover yet again that the macOS version is both crippled compared to the Windows version (where oh where is the full set of Power Query tools) and ignorant of bog-standard macOS keyboard shortcuts / menu items, e.g. Paste and Match Style or any of the text transformation right click options.

No hostility here. “Form over function” is always a confusing priority to me.

2 Likes

Good luck with that!

I think you may have meant “prefer” when you wrote “expect”.

2 Likes

And my favourite one - CMD + Arrow doesn’t take you to the end of the line and you have to use the Home and End buttons - which are stupidly hard to press on my Matias Quiet Pro.

I’m not fussed about Obsidian and it’s Electron app heritage. From a user of GTK based apps on Windows and Mac, I’m used to things looking poorly integrated - but working well. And at the end of the day, it’s the results I’m judged on.

2 Likes