Obsidian May Be Redundant for My Workflow

Devonthink is the hub of my app wheel, but I use it for document curation rather than creation. I could write all my notes in DTP, but I much prefer to write them in Obsidian and index them in DTP. I could use DTP as an RSS reader, but I prefer News Explorer. I could use DTP as a read-it-later engine, but prefer Goodlinks. If I come across something in News Explorer that I want to read later, I could put it in DTP and process it there, but I prefer to process it in Goodlinks. If it needs to end up in DTP or Obsidian, I put it there*.

*I know my someday-maybe-packrat self well enough to know that I need to be very intentional about saving and processing content or I’ll be declaring read-it-later and TBR (to be read) bankruptcy every six months. Let’s just say that I’m a data-hoarder in recovery after going through what might be termed an automation de-tox.

Granted. But I’ve delegated my use of DT to managing research and related notes. All other notes are in Apple Notes and I do my writing in other apps. My intent is not to find the “one app to rule them all” but to find the smallest number of apps for getting the “job done.” And, with as few subscriptions as possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I struggle with this issue, too. I’m a heavy DEVONthink user, and in the past my workflow has been to take notes elsewhere, but store them in DEVONthink. But lately I’ve wanted a distinct, friction-free place to keep notes I take regarding photography, which I’ve been trying to learn more and more. I’ve dabbled with Obsidian, and for a couple months I’ve been using Noteplan for that purpose, since it comes with Setapp. I have a few Drafts actions to append notes to different “photography tips” notes (landscapes, portraits, etc.) in Noteplan. But now I’m wondering if I’d be better off just keeping those in Drafts. The struggle is endless!

1 Like

It is and I think forums like this can make the situation worse–perhaps “ignorance would be bliss”! None of my staff struggle with such things. My EA takes notes in a paper notebook, my Head of Advancement takes all notes in Word, and my CFO takes notes on the iPad with Notability. None of them struggle with “which app to use.” :joy: I’m hoping to just settle and stop struggling–sometimes it feels a bit ridiculous (I’m speaking about me–not others) to spend so much time wrestling with how to take notes. :slightly_smiling_face: So, I’m using Apple Notes and exporting the notes as markdown to a Finder/iCloud archive and indexing the notes in DT. I also index all of my research with DT.

5 Likes

That’s my goal too!

I can definitely see the attraction of putting all of your research materials in one place if you’re using other applications for non-research related items—especially if you don’t need backlinks and whatnot.

1 Like

DEVONthink is good for storage but terrible for note taking. Their MD and RTF editors are horrible. Sometimes ignorance is good, many of my colleagues just use notes or GoodNotes for taking notes. They’re so happy :grin:

I agree completely about obsidian. My favorite app has always been OneNote as I love to be able to annotate over top of text and searchable. Also as a PC only employer it’s cross platform. Been between using obsidian and Apple notes and Apple notes is enough. Easier, faster, and family sharing work well. I do like the back links (which OneNote and even Apple notes with some fiddling have) but I’m not using them a ton. Honestly think obsidian is too buggy when you use addins, too much maintenance, and still pretty horrible on mobile. Need to quit reading forums where people use obsidian! I sometimes honestly wonder if people do any work or jus reorganize there notes over and over and over based on some comments I see.

2 Likes

Agreed on all points. Noteplan3 is also a part of SetApp so that could help people try it out.

I was on Noteplan3+Obsidian for about six months before moving to Craft entirely a year ago.

This is true! And the struggle is real. :grinning: Maybe I should limit my visits, although trying apps is a bit of a hobby.

ImI’ve ended up with (for now):

• Logseq: for daily notes/meeting notes… I deal with lots of individuals and projects in my church and community. The daily note with good use of tagging lets me keep a note of interactions and actions, thoughts and ideas. I don’t have to think where to file things and everything is networked (a person I deal with may have two different roles and work on four different projects). Whatever system I end up with a daily note with tagging is a must.

• Apple Notes for jotting things down on the fly.

• EagleFiler - my big file storage repository - for papers, reports, interesting articles and so on.

• Paper notebook - for notes during meetings. In my setting introducing an iPad or laptop to meetings is not always appropriate. I write up a brief summary in Logseq.

I’m not sure where my Bible study notes should go. Right now I’m using Obsidian, but could use Logseq! The attraction of Obsidian/Logseq is linking across topics and chapters, although in practice I’m not sure I make much use of that. There are books and systems to do that for me.

I’m trialing Mindly (mind-maps) because it is just so cute and frictionless. More of a thinking tool than long term note storage, but mind-maps potentially replace some note taking.

I’d probably be doing this (and less computer in general) if my handwriting hadn’t always been awkward and poor quality (I’m a lefty non-gifted in motor skills.)

There is no way a person doing this hasn’t struggled with how to organize their notes at some point!

True enlightenment. Camus’ Sisyphus comes to mind.

1 Like

I’m not sure how enlightened it is, seems a bit “absurd” to me😉 but my Head of Advancement is a former Jag officer and professor at the Air Force Academy so he has something going for him!

As an MD I can sympathise. However it does mean my analogue notes have built in encryption :joy: (except for pharmacists)

6 Likes

That’s good! :joy:

…………

1 Like