Obsidian public beta (and Discourse forum) available

Sorry – it’s not up yet. It’s due out 2020-05-27T13:00:00Z

I totally agree.
For me it would be between Drafts (I have a subscription) and this one.
Looking at the premium options: not worth it for me.

1 Like

Ah, I thought “up Wednesday” meant last Wednesday. Thanks! Something to look forward too!

1 Like

I thought you were talking about this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfoGR4AYT5Y&feature=emb_logo

1 Like

For those interested, here’s a link:

7 Likes

@justindirose Excellent video. I am giving Obsidian a try, BTW you have a very pleasant speaking voice. Good Luck with growing your channel. I have subscribed myself

2 Likes

Obsidian started its public beta today. Free download.

From first build (3/30/2020) to public beta in less than 2 months – pretty good. (Ahem, nv-what’s-your-name).

3 Likes

Last time I tried it, Obsidian did not support transclusion (I guess it’s not easily doable with a file-based system). Is it still the case?

1 Like

Transclusion shown in @justindirose video

1 Like

Ah, sorry, couldn’t watch it yet. Thanks!

Transclusion in Obsidian is similar to iA writer, though you can transclude just a header section. It’s not quite inline like Roam, but wonderful nonetheless.

1 Like

I just stumbled onto Obsidian. Probably not going to use it just yet but dose look cool.

I’m still kicking myself for not taking advantage of the devs’ early-bird 50%-off deal on Dynalist (if one even signed up for the monthly plan and dropped it one was entitled to returning at that discounted rate) two years ago.

Obsidian’s current pricing tiers are pretty interesting: free, $25 one-time, or $50/yr (Commercial), with 50%-off early-bird subscriptions for e2e sync ($48/yr) and hosted knowledge-base publishing ($96/yr).

Apparently there’s no appreciable difference for personal use between the free version and the $25 purchase/license.

I wonder how (or how well) the e2e sync works with multiple machines, and whether there are plans for mobile versions - doesn’t seem so right now according to their roadmap.

I like what I’ve seen of it so far, though I’m not sure there’s anything in it right now to supplant my use of Ulysses. But I might toss $25 (or possibly $73 to lock in the early-bird e2e pricing) and see where it leads.

3 Likes

I didn’t get this post at first.

Then, four days later, I found Andy’s website for the first time.

I still didn’t really get it (smart writing, sure, but so what?)

Then I clicked on a link. Oh my gods

3 Likes

There’s been a lot of talk about mobile apps on the forum and Discord. They’re definitely committed to it in theory, but I don’t think they’re planning on making it happen for a v1.0 release.

True. Dev Erica has been participating in a multi-hundred comment threat on Obsidian in Hacker News and hasn’t taken the bait on any comments about supporting OSes besides Mac/Windows/Linux.

1 Like

Erica is a great professional. I had less than enthusiastic feedback to share when I was in the beta and she took it with an equanimity that’s rare these days.

1 Like

Yes, I think the $25 tier is a donation to support development. There were higher tiers at one point but they seem to be hidden. You get access to a private section of the Discord forum and a personal shout out from Erica. Seriously – supporting friendly developers who interact with and actually listen to customers – especially on Discord – is worth supporting, IMO.

Remember, you don’t need the e3e sync – these are local files and you can sync them yourself or use your own cloud service.

2 Likes

Offhand do you know if the subscription options work with the free app, or do they require a $25 ‘unlock’?

I bought a Supporter to help Erica and Shida along – it gave me “access to insider builds”. It’s like the “Backstage” subscription for Tinderbox – though it’s not a subscription in Obsidian’s case. There have been no insider builds but maybe someday. Otherwise, for now, the app you get as a supporter is the same download as the free version.

Edit: an “insider” build out today adds inline Latex support – should hit the public beta soon.

2 Likes