Obsidian users: What would make the app more Mac-native?

Is there any progress on support for native MacOS autocorrect? iPad/iPhone?

My biggest request here would be to enable Obsidian as a native Markdown editor in Finder — and I guess in the Files app on iPad/iPhone as well. That would solve a great many problems for me. Although I am enjoying finding workarounds to these problems.

2 Likes

No updates yet. iOS should work, though, no?

I think I have a plugin solution in mind for Mac, but haven’t had the chance to develop it. And I think the devs have had their hands full with mobile rollout.

Working on plugins for a more Mac-native experience—and giving the devs some support for menus and the like—is a hopeful parental leave project for me. I’ve got a month before I go on leave though!

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it on iOS or iPad, TBH.

You’re having a baby? Mazel Tov!

And yes, while I have no children myself, from what I understand once you have a baby you should have plenty of free time to work on Obsidian plug-ins and other side projects! <— sarcasm

I don’t miss menu support. The command palette is much better for that. As a matter fact, even in native Mac apps I now use Paletro more than I use the menus. Do a lot of people who are sophisticated enough to use Obsidian also use menus? Would menu support be helpful for automation, as with keyboard maestro?

To be clear, menu support is extremely low priority for me. I don’t really need it at all. But as my mother always told me, the world does not revolve around me.

I think menu support is very important to discoverability.

4 Likes

Possibly. On the other hand, when I was discovering what obsidian could do, I opened to the command palette with no text and just started arrowing down and reading the options. I still do that occasionally when I want to re-familiarize myself with what’s available.

I think Obsidian has provided a good alternative to command menus, with the Command Palette. Type ⌘P, the palette opens, begin typing the thing you are looking for, selected with arrow keys, hit return. We can choose commands to pin to the top of the palette. All commands can be given shortcuts in Settings.

Mac users have been trained to discover the options available in a program by exploring the menu since 1984. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re right of course. Doesn’t invalidate the feature, however does it?

The prefect Mac/iOS note taking app will have the features of Obsidian and the nativity of Bear :heart_eyes:

1 Like