Off-topic: Your favourite podcasts

Toronto has been issued another lockdown for one month and holidays being around the corner we are all most likely staying put for the next little while (if we haven’t been already).

What are your absolutely favourite podcasts you have heard or listen to regularly. I subscribe to about 25 podcasts but really only listen to a handful regularly.

1. Tim Ferriss Podcast
  2. MPU
  3. Bookworm (Joe Buhlig, Mike Schimtz)
  4. Hidden Brain
  5. Masters in Business
  6. Joe rogan Experience (will stop once he moves full time to Spotify)

I use Overcast as my go to app.

2 Likes
  1. MPU
  2. Upgrade
  3. Connected
  4. ATP
  5. Cortex
  6. Focused
  7. Automators
  8. Analog
  9. The Vulcan Hello
  10. A Complicated Profession
  11. Liftoff
  12. Nested Forlders
  13. Under the Radar
  14. Adapt
  15. AppStories
  16. MacStories Unplugged
  17. MacStories Unwind
  18. Thoroughly Considered
2 Likes

I’m in a “no-podcast” phase right now (maybe because I used to listen while commuting… :thinking:), but I regularly listen to these:

MPU
Automators
Fujilove podcast
The Stop Down Photography Podcast
Gruber’s Talk Show
Avvocati e Mac (Italian podcast about using Apple products as lawyers)
Craig Mod’s On margin (don’t know if it’s still alive)

for others I just pick interesting episodes

MPU is the only podcast for which I get updates when a new episode drops. I guess that makes it my favorite podcast.

The Anthropocene Revisited – indescribable and fantastic.

Bunga Bunga – the rise and fall of Italian President Silivio Berlusconi.

Decoder Ring – cracking 25 years of pop culture mysteries

Dithering – John Gruber and Ben Thompson discuss the top tech news, in precisely three weekly episodes of precisely 15 minutes each. I just like Gruber as a podcaster.

Dolly Parton’s America – Remarkable woman. She wrote “Jolene” and “I Will Always Love You” in one day. One day!

Ear Hustle

Produced by prisoners in San Quentin State Prison, about life in prison

The Ezra Klein Show – Progressive politics. Literally life-changing for me, convinced me to get involved in politics. Every American citizen should, just like we all pay taxes, serve on jury duty, in the military if necessary, and we all vote. Government only works when we all work at it; it’s how the founders intended. Quit arguing on Facebook, get involved in politics for real instead.

Headlong: Missing Richard Simmons – If you are middle aged or older, you remember Simmons as an incredibly annoying exercise personality, flamboyantly gay and swishy, a human cringe, painful to watch. You’d be completely wrong about him. Simmons is a goddamn hero.

Simmons was ubiquitous on daytime TV for decades. Then he abruptly retired from private life in 2014. There were rumors that he was being held hostage by his personal staff, like Groucho Marx was before him, and Stan Lee afterward. This podcast tries to get at the truth.

Plenty more. I listen to 2 hours of podcasts daily, at 2x. But I’ve gotten tired at the H’s. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maccast
MPU
Dave Ramsey
Focused
Dan Carlin
Jocko Podcast
Code 3 - A FF Podcast
MedicMindset
Apple News Today

2 Likes

Nice suggestions, everyone. One other I like is Basecamp’s Rework podcast (formerly The Distance.) It’s about 1/3 stories about the company or employees, and 2/3 stories about other small businesses and organizations. Research and production are excellent.

1 Like

I should add I was also engrossed in Serial series about Adnan Syed a few years ago.

Slowburn’s Watergate scandal series was good too.

And so was NPR’s Believed about Larry Nassar - though bit rough to listen to because of its nature.

1 Like

I fear giving this a try :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not mentioned yet:

1 Like

Almost all of the above and: the Nosillacast

1 Like

A D&D real play podcast about four dads from our world transported into the Forgotten Realms and their quest to rescue their sons. Not a BDSM podcast!

Without opening up a can of worms, any good bipartisan politics/current events podcasts you can recommend?

I’m curious to see where this ones goes. It only has one episode so far. I’m hoping it gains traction. It’s building off this site/newsletter.

An independent, non-partisan, subscriber-supported politics podcast where you’ll hear the best arguments from across the political spectrum. Then my take.

1 Like

Been listening to podcasts since iTunes 4.9. Long time Overcast user, usually at 1.75x depending on what I’m doing. Smart Speed has saved me 282 hours beyond speed adjustments.

TWiT/MacBreak Weekly/Windows Weekly
Sincast/Behind the Sins
MacCast
Talk Show w/Gruber
You Look Nice Today
Office Ladies
StarTalk Radio

1 Like

Honestly, I think Ezra Klein might suit you. He’s progressive but skeptical and likes to have conservative guests on, to talk with them respectfully. I just listened to an episode he did on why the GOP gained among Latinos.

Others: Axios Re:Cap, Axios Today, and Consider This From NPR.

2 Likes

You’re Wrong About…

Favorite new podcast and it’s a non-tech podcast.

They have done several, multiple, many episodes on topics where I read the title and said “I have no interest in this topic…” but then I listened to the episode and ended up thinking “Wow, that was really interesting…”

The official podcast URL: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1112270.rss.

iTunes URL: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/youre-wrong-about/id1380008439

2 Likes

I started listening with any Mac or Apple related podcast but grew tired of it. Now, its just mostly 99% Invisible, Radiolab, Lore and This American Life.

New discovered is Transmissions: The Definitive Story of Joy Division and New Order.

Shameless plug: my own podcast on folk stories in the Philippines. Voice recording ain’t that good and I hope I improve as I keep doing more.

Never Miss

• Accidental Tech Podcast
  • Analog(ue)
  • Connected (Pro)
  • Cortex
  • The Greatest Discovery
  • The Greatest Generation
  • Office Ladies
  • The Pen Addict
  • Thoroughly Considered
  • Top Four
  • Upgrade (+)

Usually Listen (or selectively per topic)

• Bourbon Pursuit
  • The Daily
  • Dithering
  • More (Mac) Power Users
  • Shift+F1
  • Talk Show
  • The Test Drivers
  • Unlocking Us w/ Brene Brown
  • Up First
  • War on the Rocks

Sometimes Listen To (when I have tons of free time)

• 99% Invisible
  • Focused
  • Hidden Brain
  • Liftoff
  • Manager Tools
  • Net Assessment
  • Waveform: The MKBHD Podcast
1 Like

My gosh, I dunno how y’all do it! Between MPU and Automators it’s all I can do to keep up (actually I don’t keep up, I’m behind at least a dozen on both :frowning_face:).

3 Likes

I take a couple of walks every day.