Off-topic: Your favourite podcasts

The Dirtbag Diaries
MPU
The Omni Show
The Talk Show
Talking Sopranos

1 Like

I have a similar list to what has already been mentioned.

I’d also add:

• Core Intuition
  • Heavyweight
  • Everything is Alive

And, if I may indulge in a little self-promotion, a fun new podcast that I create with two friends that covers technology, culture and perspectives from the USA and Australia:

1 Like

I’m glad to see there is at least one other MacCast listener on here. I thought there would be more.

2 Likes

Excellent suggestions! I will sure to give them a try.

1 Like

I was listening to podcasts while I commuted so I’d appreciate any tips for fitting in podcast listening during lockdown and work at home.

Apart from MPU, here are my favorites:

• Space Javelin - irreverent take on Apple news, deep dives into technology such as thunderbolt and USB standards, GPUs and more, courtroom shenanigans and a dollop of sci fi fandom. They used to be MacNN podcast, and they cried when it got shut down and so did I. And then they went ahead and took the limes that life had dealt them and made margeritas. The name comes from a cold war sci fi idea of launching tungsten rods from space at targets on earth. The theme music is like the Space March from one of the Bond movies.

• The Pen Addict. I was proud to say I had given up hand writing for several years, but then I rediscovered that handwriting is an essential part of our learning process. This is the one podcast I have binge listened to from the beginning, after starting at 300. This used to be the only pen podcast, now there are a handful.

• PenBoyRoy - his youtube pen reviews are fantastic, the podcast he does with his friend Tom Oddo (nicknamed Odd Oink) is more of an acquired taste, but the craziness is a great antidote to 2020 in particular. Apart from pens, they go off topic a lot, so expect the unexpected.

• AppleInsider podcast. Used to be like two Vulcans trying to argue about something they agreed on. Then they widened the cast of presenters, including some of the Space Javelin crew, so it’s now quite varied.

• HomekitInsider - looking forward to trying this out this week while I’m on vacation, new AppleInsider podcast about HomeKit.

• Astrophotography Podcast - infrequent but good.

• S-Town - this was a one-off 7 episode serial in 2017 and controversial because of some of the aspects of the journalism. However the story was compelling, convoluted and memorable, quite a diversion from tech podcasts.

Other podcasts I listen to when driving:

• Connected and App Stories.

• I used to love Canvas, that combination of Fraser’s Glaswegian and Federico’s Italian was beautiful. Unfortunately it ended.

• Duolingo Spanish. At first I found it harder than I expected. Then I realized that, while I typically listen to podcasts at 1.5x, Spanish has to be 1x. Thought provoking stories in Spanish with a journalist interleaving comments in English, and there’s a transcript available online. You don’t need to be a member of Duolingo.

• Focused and Nested Folders. Occasionally Automators.

• Make Do

• Tim Ferriss - this was probably the first podcast I listened to but once he had a guest who made me so insanely jealous (lucked into being a snow sports videographer as a day job) that I just gave up. I go back to it every so often. The episode with Arnie Schwarznegger was hilarious.

• Accidental Tech Podcast. Gave up on them when they spent half an hour arguing about how you would know whether your phone was repaired or replaced if you took it in to an Apple Store for repair. Seriously, it takes a second. Screen shot the settings page with the serial number, let it sync to iCloud, compare when you get the phone back.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy these two podcasts:
EconTalk - Russ Roberts is a great interviewer and the podcast covers more than economics.
Deep Questions by Cal Newport

Best Regards,

Chris

1. Upgrade
  2. The Talk Show
  3. ATP
  • The Unmade Podcast
  • You’re Wrong About
  • Connected
  • The Debaters
  • Ludology
1 Like
  • ATP
  • Ask N.T. Wright Anything
  • Mac Power Users
  • Focused
  • Automators
  • Freakanomics
  • Post Modern Liturgy
  • Stuff You Should Know
2 Likes

You’re Wrong About is a great podcast. Their episode on Roe v Wade was a insightful listen. I learned a lot.

1 Like

Ezra Klein just jumped ship from Vox to join the New York Times:

Ezra Klein, a founder of the popular website Vox.com, is leaving the publication to become a columnist and podcast host at The New York Times, the latest high-profile departure from Vox Media during a wave of change in the digital media business.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/business/media/ezra-klein-leave-vox.html

1 Like

MPU
ATP
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Mobituraries
Court Appointed
Skeptoid

Always listen to (primarily because my spouse loves them too so they work for joint trips):

• Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
  • Gastropod

Often Listen to:

• MPU
  • Nested Folders
  • The Pen Addict
  • Anderson Pens
  • Bent Tines (yes - yet another fountain pen podcast)
  • Picture This: Photography Podcast
  • PhotoActive
  • Clarkesworld Magazine

There are another couple of dozen podcasts listed on my podcast player but I seem to have lost interest in them for one reason or another. I’ll only download/play an episode (rarely) if it’s a particularly relevant topic.

2 Likes

In addition to the usual ATP + Relay hits that are often in this crowd, here are a few extras I’ve been enjoying:

• Build your SaaS
  • Hardcore History - how has this not been mentioned yet?
  • Darknet Diaries
  • How to Save a Planet
  • Outside Podcast from time-to-time

Newly in my rotation:

• On the Step with thatmallardguy

Fallen out of rotation but I should get back into it:

• Gastropod

And if you can lay your hands on back episodes of the CBC’s Vinyl Café do it, (not so much a “podcast”, but delivered in podcast form).

2 Likes

I expect he’ll keep doing great work there.

If the podcast ends, so be it. My podcasts are coming in faster than I can listen.

ATP + the usual Relay.FM podcasts. Enough about those.

Also,

FiveThirtyEight Politics (and no, they didn’t get the election wrong), Hot Takedown (sports analytics) and Office Ladies.

One of the FiveThirtyEight regulars just got laid off so I don’t know how that one will play in the future, though. Tough time to be in the media.

“MPU”
“ATP”
“Focused”
“Upgrade”
“Cortex”

Not Relay.fm
“TWIT”
“Focus on Photography”
“Creative Rebels” is a great show with 2 graffiti artists talking about the art industry and the creative process
I also like “Take Note” which is a podcast about 2 writers making observations in a notebook and reading them to the viewers.

I found this episode a very calming listen.

2 Likes