Offline Homekit

I don’t have a homekit setup at home. (Mostly because except for lights, there’s almost nothing else available that is compatible (in Switzerland))
However I’m wondering, if homekit needs to be connected to the internet if all devices are available on a local network. What is te reason to have an internet connexion mandatory ?

Is that right? HomeKit will need internet access so you can control your equipment when you’re not at home, which includes geofencing, but I didn’t think it was mandatory for HomeKit to work.

1 Like

Indeed: Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

1 Like

Just if you need to access anything from “outside”. Just did the test: turned off my cable modem and everything worked.

2 Likes

HomeKit is one of (maybe the only) the only smart device systems not needing an internet connection.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile: So no mandatory internet connexion when I’m home, only when I’m outside. I couldn’t find a document saying something like : homekit works on a local network without internet access, if you are also in that network.