OmniFocus 4 for Mac now in TestFlight

I quit OF a while ago the beta was taking IMO a crazy amount of time and I just did not like the direction on phone. Mac version seems ok but nothing to justify paying a fair bit of money for when I had been using it free for months, churlish I know but that was how I felt.

Had a huge respect for the OmniGroup but OF4 has in my opinion dropped the ball

1 Like

It takes as long as it takes. I can wonder the same about if/when Things 4 will ever be revealed.

Iā€™m on the opposite end of the spectrum and figured out a workflow for myself using OF4.

Thereā€™s still a lot of features that Iā€™d like to have built into OF4 but Iā€™ve been able to get by in life with the current OF4 TestFlight installed.

Yes the UI bugs can be annoying. But it is still labeled as beta/TestFlight.

I think theyā€™re over the major UX hurdles for experienced users. Iā€™d be very sad if I lost access to the Testflight and had to go back to 3.

(Iā€™m less confident theyā€™ve figured out the new user/progressive disclosure experience.)

Iā€™d agree with this. OF remains the best solution for me at this time, but every time they make a new version, they improve the Forecast view (great!) and somehow make everything else more tedious (not great!).

This progressive disclosure thing theyā€™ve been working on for the better part of a decade feels more and more like they donā€™t know how to design this app without a junk drawer.

Yes but CulturedCode are not promoting Things 4 even if it is in development which no one knows.

I was an avid OF user for years, and when the beta started jumped on enthusiastically. I also tested it against Things 3 and ToDoist and honestly I went from enjoying using OF to dreading it.

I spent a considerable time using Things 3 which I think is a really good solution for most. Currently although itā€™s early days I am finding Noteplan a really good fit for my needs even though it needed a complete rethink of workflows and how I store and manage my tasks.

1 Like

I wonder if there is anything happening on the keyboard shortcut front. That is what keeps me in Thingsā€¦every time I got back I am completely bewildered by how mouse dependent it is. So much friction! I donā€™t get how it doesnā€™t bother others more, but guess the depth of OF keeps folks on board.

They added a ton of shortcuts to OF4, iPad and Mac. Then they took them back out for Swift UI bugginess reasons, and theyā€™re going to put them back in during the next phase of development.

I found the shortcuts to be powerful but I donā€™t think they were quite as elegantly implemented as Thingsā€™ shortcuts (as is the case with most Things vs. OF tradeoffs.)

Keyboard shortcuts are frequently requested; I would say the lack does bother people.

1 Like

Omnifocus has hit design freeze, so we finally have a picture of what the final product looks like for OF4.

Theyā€™ve ironed a lot of bugs out, and Iā€™m a subscriber, but maybe hopes were a bit high (tasks with a day schedule without a time!). On the fence, whatā€™s everyoneā€™s thoughts now its final?

Iā€™m back on Things 3. Too many clicks, too messy an interface for me. I rely heavily on the ios app and find too much white space, the sync is still slow. Too be honest the old app is preferable to the new one.

3 Likes

Itā€™s funny because Iā€™m leaving Things, going back to omnifocus. Some middle ground of power of OF and smooth / aesthetics of Things would make for one great app! Yeah even new iOS omnifocus is 5 taps to do anything buts itā€™s the most comprehensive.

2 Likes

Iā€™m good with where itā€™s at for 4.0. They just need to get it done. The data structure changes theyā€™ve been discussing for point releases after 4.0 are where weā€™ll get more perspective options, perhaps the more flexible date field for scheduled tasks, etc. Maybe even the hinted-at notification rework!

2 Likes

Me too. If omnifocus gets in the same neighbourhood of Things in terms of keyboard shortcuts and lack of friction, I might peak back in. There are things I miss about OF (particularly their review system), but not with the crazy friction just to enter a to-do quickly from the keyboard.

1 Like