Omnifocus, Fantastical behind curve despite subscription charges

That’s fine, and I respect that, but what you consider to be an important feature and what I consider can be different right? We have all acknowledged that this is a first world problem, so piddly days are annoying.

Yea, I’m really liking the heatmap too. Since widgets can’t be interacted with, this is really nice to see a glance of what I have coming up in the two-up month view.

1 Like

An overview from Flexibits themselves:

https://flexibits.com/blog/2020/09/fantastical-3-2-is-here-with-12-all-new-widgets-scribble-for-ipad-and-more/

“Need” is relative for a feature that didn’t exist a week ago, so no, nothing I need to have, but I think some of the competitors look more polished. I do like the time until next appointment feature that readdle calendars 5 has available for the single space widget, but fantastical only seems to have on the double space widget. Of course none of this maters in any relevant way.

Well, that was not their first priority. According to their Twitter interactions their initial plan was to keep the “classic widget” around as long as possible and then, once Apple removes them entirely, most likely also let them fade out for existing non-subscription customers. Some other Twitter user reported that there were nag messages in most of the widgets as well.
Maintaining the old widget, as well as the potential of yet another wave of disappointed customers probably lead them to reconsider. The rest is marketing speak.

However, none of the current widgets come close to what the old classic widget, as well as the Infograph Modular large watch face complication offer: The bar representation is unparalleled. So there is still massive room for improvement.

It is still bugging me that users that waited patiently for years after suggesting calendar sets and a day-/weekview (table style) to arrive on iOS to Flexibits. Those feature requests got ignored or withheld and their release tied to their high-price subscription.
Obviously they are trying to utilize it as a pull-mechanism into their subscription, but in my opinion this is short-sighted.

There is another route for devs to avoid subscription fatigued customer dread and that is features as in-app purchases. I would gladly pay $9.99 (one time purchase) to unlock calendar sets on iOS or another $9.99 to get the table style views unlocked as an existing premium customer. The improved widgets that add functionality that go beyond what the classic widgets would have offered would have easily warranted another $4.99 one time IAP. In a few years, when iOS might see another style change and an app-refresh is justified another $9.99 or $14.99 would be alright with me.

Now with the high priced subscription I’ve chosen not to pay anything, am sceptical towards any future products from them and as an unsatisfied previous customer keep my eyes open for alternatives. You could consider me an already lost customer that lingers around on the sinking ship.

5 Likes

I’m happy with these widgets. I would like a Join button on the 2x2 (which does show the time until next appointment, by the way.)

I still think any developer who is taking a bit longer is doing a fine thing. Not everyone is willing or able (health reasons, family) to burn themselves out to the same degree. I’d hate to have those expectations at my job.

1 Like

This is one reason, I lost all empathy for Flexibits. I will never trust them.

I get the feeling this thread is about to start going around in circles, so I’m locking it

8 Likes