One time purchase app for envelope budgeting?

I liked it when I used, but I don’t want the subscription fee.

1 Like

Is there a comparison between hledger and beancount?

Are there specific advantages or disadvantages between these two systems?

1 Like

For this type of budgeting I’ve used a spreadsheet. I like it because I can customize the reporting to my exact desires. If you’re willing to enter all the data, why not have the ultimate in flexibility?

2 Likes

I’ve only seen comparisons between hledger and ledger.

I’m looking into aspirebudget, a google spreadsheet :slight_smile:, do you use Excel?

1 Like

There is some discussion here of people using Numbers or other spreadsheets for budgeting/finances. You may want to take a look.

2 Likes

I’ve used YNAB since version 3. I now use the YNAB subscription service. I tried moving away but I just click with YNAB. As I’m in Australia now, from the UK originally, I never use syncing to import transactions from the bank but I confess I prefer to do it manually.

1 Like

Numbers right now. I have used excel in the past.

1 Like

Probably a bit late to the party but EveryDollar is a great choice. Free unless you want to link accounts. We’ve been using it for years.

1 Like

That’s a long time! I have to admit their new YNAB together makes the app a lot more tempting. How has it helped you with your personal finance?

Unfortunately the app is not available in my region :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve used MoneyDance for more than 5 years and am very satisfied with it. It can connect to your bank but I don’t use that function. You can set your budget categories on a monthly, semi-annual, annual basis and can see on the side panel how your income and expense relate to your budget in each category. In addition to checking and savings you can set up investments, credit cards, etc., do searches and run reports. I only use the Mac version but it is also available on iOS

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out.

How has it helped you with your personal finance?

Jvet, it has basically allowed us to keep a roof over our heads and feed and clothe our children. It’s the give every dollar a job rule that really works for us. Other register solutions appear to reflect what you have done with your money, YNAB and other budget to zero solutions allow you to see where your money is going to go before it disappears.

That change in thinking, we were previously with MS Money, made all the difference to us. I know zero based budgets are not for everyone but the discipline it instills allowed my wife to stay home as a full time Mum until our youngest was 12. Now that same discipline allows us to save up for larger items by growing our envelope balances as we need to.

The final point is that zero based budgeting really does work best if you can put your current months pay away to fund the next month.

Having said that we used YNAB for years following one of their other rules which is roll with the punches. For example when the children both need shoes but you’ve only got enough in your shoe envelope for 1 pair then you can leverage the money in a longer term envelope to cover the shoe purchase.

I’m in our budget every single day and prefer the manual transaction entry approach.

3 Likes

No matter which system you use or which software you use, I believe this to be a key to success. I have a few checking accounts and credit card accounts that I check every morning even though I have alerts and real time notices set up. I have a few IRA accounts that I check less often because there are not many transactions. I guess my approach is “trust but verify”. I use Numbers spreadsheets to manage my finances.

3 Likes

Thanks for such complete feedback. Did you notice that they recently added YNAB together? That may be the trigger I needed to get the app, that way I can share the subscription price with my special one. We downloaded the app and made our budget, watched the intro video and the videos that explain further the 4 rules. My partner got really excited, seeing for the first time the allocation of budget for the iPhone she needs, and also other expenses.

As you, I prefer to enter everything manually, that way there is a lot more intentionality when spending money. Also, my bank takes some time to clear the money and I have noticed with other apps, that they show you money YOU DON’T REALLY HAVE because the bank hasn’t cleared it.

Wish us luck!

1 Like

Intentionality is key. It’s like the advice of Cal Newport when planning your day and then seeing your metrics of what habits you invested time in. By manually checking a box, you see whether you were lazy or not. Instant hit to the ego, and in the case of money, an instant punch to your face if you spend when you didn’t have to.

1 Like

Has anyone got a double entry Numbers template they wouldn’t mind sharing?

1 Like

Can’t seem to find any of these apps in a black Friday sale. Please do post if you come across one on a sale.

1 Like

Yeah, in my research I didn’t find a discount. Check YNAB together, one person pays the subscription but up to 5 people can share it and budget. Pretty close to a discount, although with a sun.