PDF Expert, What Happens if I Update?

Does anyone know how to get the 50% deal for existing licence holders? I tried to upgrade to the subscription in the app and it tried to sell it to me for the full price.

I think you either need to contact support or try and subscribe from a different device where you have not dismissed it yet (like an iPhone or an iPad). I also found that once you dismiss that 50% deal on first launch, it is apparently not possible to get it to appear again. :man_shrugging:

I use PDFsam for this. It’s not very mac-like, but it’s free and open source, and easy to install using brew install --cask pdfsam-basic.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, I’ve always wondered if there’re FOSS PDF editors that can create TOCs. Very glad to learn that they indeed exist.

Thanks @dario , I think i will contact support.

For those interested in creating PDF outlines … this app does it well in my experience. Only $4.99.

It only does one thing, but well. I use PDF Expert for everything else.

1 Like

Can anyone reference a good academic workflow for marking up a PDF on iPad and then exporting?

I have to say I’m torn on this one. I recently used PDFExpert a lot during a recent real estate transaction. But these kind of heavy pdf situations happen for me once or twice a year. Most of the time I’m just reading and highlighting pdfs which can be done in preview of the free version of pdfexpert. I do want to pay them for the good work they do, but $80 a year just doesn’t seem worth it for how little I use those features.

Would it be feasible to subscribe on a monthly basis for the period of time you need all of the tools and then cancel when the project is completed?

Yes. Monthly subscription is for such situations, when you don’t need it on a long term basis.

That’s a very good idea, I didn’t think of that. I’ll do that next time and enjoy the regular version for my normal reading and highlighting.

I switched to PDF Reader Pro. Found a deal on StackSocial ($39.99 valid until 9/10/22) and took the plunge.

PDF Reader Pro is perhaps a tiny little but more rough on the edges than PDF Expert. But offers a comparable feature set to PDF Expert 3 (yes three, not two!). For much less money.

PDF Expert is on its way out here.

Thanks for the suggestion - is this an a universal purchase? One payment for all platforms?

Yes. One payment for all devices … multiple Macs, iPhones, iPads.

Are you sure? On iOS you still seem to have to pay?

Not sure what to say. Perhaps you have to upgrade via Mac OS instead of iPhone or iPad OS. See image below that pops up when I want to use one of the special added features of PDFExpert 3. Regular features are free (for those who already bought). I’m waiting for the educational upgrade pricing to be activated as it will be 50% less.

Ah, I’ve crossed my wires! I thought the app referred to was PDF Reader Pro not PDFexpert!

My bad!

If you have SETAPP. then you can download Nitro PDF which I find very effective.

This is for the Mac version of PDF Reader Pro only.

I have not heard much mention of Goodreader these days. Do people still use this app.

this app is interesting as it also does file management on iOS /iPad OS

1 Like